Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,343

4 members and 3,339 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Sudden turn. Yikes!

I've got a pair of Red Sumatra Bloods. They are approaching 3 yrs old. I'll breed them this Fall. Neither has ever been aggressive whatsoever. Baby tame and great personality. I went to do my routine cage checking last night and noticed the female had just pee'd. You know when you get that sense that something is different? Even after all these years of her never being aggressive, I just sensed it by the way she looked at me. So I was cautious. I reached in to nudge her to let her know I was getting her out and she raised half her body off the floor and struck at me, hissing loudly. Wow! My baby turned on me. Totally different snake. I got a hook and moved her to the other end of the cage and got a board to separate us while I cleaned her cage. After cleaning and changing her water, I could tell she had calmed down. I pet her and even rubbed her under her chin. She calmly went from my hand to her water and started drinking.
    First thing this morning, I got her out to see how she'd be. She was calm and back to her old self. I'm scratching my head. Only thing I can come up with is I interrupted her peeing. She may not have been done because it was puddled when I first saw her. Any other ideas? Think that could be the case?
    I've owned many snakes and I've never seen one just turn like that after 3 years.

Thanks

Re: Sudden turn. Yikes!

I think you might of just scared her a bit, my Borneo Male gets jumpy sometimes if I don't make it well know what my intentions are I think we have spoiled our Snakes lol lol I love my Bloods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

I didn't scare her. My routine was just that. Routine. I never just fling the door open or rush in at her. This was like a total 360 from any past behavior. She stood her ground. It wasn't a startle.

Thanks
    Sometimes mine get really upset just after a pee too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tikall View Post
    Sometimes mine get really upset just after a pee too.
    Interesting. I had some Borneo's years ago. Baby tame. I had a pair of Wild caught Malaysian bloods also and they were meaner than all get out all the time. So I've had Blood experience, but this is my first experience with Captive raised Sumatra Reds. I've owned many types of snakes but I've never seen one turn because of a pee.

Thanks

I have A Blood that is so calm and sweet all the time, my Borneo is a lot more aggressive than my Blood from Cold Blooded Earth. Who knows what set yours off they like being mysterious lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A
    Lady Mkrj58