Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,410

0 members and 2,410 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I don't know if a ball python is for me

I am interested in getting a snake and i really like bp. but i am concerned that i am not prepared to meet its needs as far as humidity and temperature. what kind of terrarium do you suggest? This will be my first snake and it seems difficult to keep everything in check. my only other option in my area ( due to pet store supply) are corn snakes.

Thanks
    I would HIGHLY recommend going with a tub setup or a PVC enclosure. I'd recommend that for a bp or a corn though. Animal Plastics T8's are great if you have the room. If not, there are a lot of smaller PVC cages out there. My advice, spend the money on a good enclosure, good thermostat, and good heat source up front. It's pricey, but well worth it and will make your job very easy in the long run.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

pariahdog (04-19-2016),Thom Noble (04-24-2016)

Thanks
    Agreed, go with a tub if you don't care about viewing and a PVC cage if you do. In my experience bps are pretty sturdy and forgiving of husbandry issues as long as you're not too far off the requirements. I've heard people say they're not a good "first snake" but I think they're a great one as long as you understand that they're finicky eaters. As long as you have heat, humidity and a good thermostat, you're good to go.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pariahdog For This Useful Post:

Thom Noble (04-24-2016)

Thanks

Re: I don't know if a ball python is for me

i should probably mention that i live in an area where the particular species of corn snake is naturally occurring, i don't know if this effects any of the decisions on this snake for me or not, just thought it was worthy of mention

Thanks
    It's not too hard to provide for their needs as long as you're willing and able to buy the proper equipment.

The main thing is what kind of personality you prefer. Corn snakes are more active. BPs are mostly pretty lazy, lol. I like a "lap snake" but you might prefer a pepper snake.

Thanks
    In all honestly when you see how easy ball pythons are, you will begin planning for your first bigger snake.

Humidity issues are as easy as soaking cypress mulch and adding some soaked moss during a shed.

Feeding is actually quite easy and just requires you to learn your snakes patterns.

I have a happy Pastel that is 600 grams now and I'm already thinking of getting something bigger if I can find something tame and kid friendly, If not...I will stick to BP's and just get me a nice girl.

If you get involved in local clubs and expos, you will find all of the help you need.

or

Google...my all time fav method
    I'm a fish guy with a girlfriend and 2 young boys who live reptiles and fish.

2015 Male Pastel Ball Python 610 grams - Damien (updated 4/24/2016)
    2013 Male Gargoyle Crested Gecko - Ethan

Thanks
    I agree with Willowy, colubrids are generally more active both in enclosure and during handling, while bps are just kind of fat sausages lol. Individuals will vary but if you want a snake that is a "better" eater and more active, get a corn. If you want a lazy girthy snake, get the bp. It's going to be your snake, so pick the one you're going to enjoy keeping the most

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    Have you handled snakes before? Some people get nervous when they're handling a wiggly corn and think it's almost constant movement is intimidating. Any time I want to have someone handle a snake for the first time I grab a ball. Feeding wise, a corn would probably be a lot easier but you could easily learn a BPs habits and best way to get it to eat.

Thanks

I've handled snakes a few times, i'm confident with them. they don't bother me.

Thanks

Would it be possible to build an adequate enclosure. I want to be able to see the snake, but i don't really want to fork up the amount needed for professional level tanks. if anyone has a good tutorial that would be helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast