Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,388

0 members and 3,388 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help with feeding technique

I finally have gotten my super pastel to eat 2 consecutive times and today I'm hoping for the third but I've changed a few things around. He had a half log warm hide and an exo Terra snake cave for cool hide. He would rarely leave the cool hide except when exploring at night and that's when I would try to feed and he would only eat every 2-3 feedings. These last 2 times I fed during day and took rat with tongs and kept poking its head into snake cave and he struck and consumed both times. I took advice and bought 2 matching hides from reptile basics. They came the same day as last feeding so I only switched out the hot hide so I didn't disturb him while digesting food. I actually caught him in it Friday so he must like it. I put in an rhp Saturday and also switched the exo Terra snake cave to the other reptile basics hide. He is actually using both now to regulate his temp which I'm happy about.

The snake cave had a hole in top so I won't be able to feed the same with the RBI hides. I would like suggestions how some of you would go about feeding with the changes I've made.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hold the rat outside the hide, the hungry snake will come to it.

What I do is hold the frozen rat outside the enclosure for a minute for the scent to get the snake's attention. 40 minutes later when it's thawed out and at a good temp, the snake is really ready to pounce and will strike within a few minutes.

Thanks
    What I'm worried about is once he spots me that he will be to nervous to eat. Idk though. Its worth a shot though. He seems to be all adjusted now so I'll see what happens.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You can cover the front of the enclosure with cardboard or something so he can't see you. You can still peek in around the edges, but he won't see you looming over him.
    If he ate for you while he was in his hide, see if you can keep catching him while he's in a hide. If you can see just the tip of his nose poking out, he's hoping a meal will wander by.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

pariahdog (04-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thaw it in the room and then dangle it outside the entrance of the hide. Mine almost always peek out of their hides when they're hungry and they smell the rat.

Thanks
    Yeah I've been doing the cardboard thing the last 2 feedings just in case he peaked out when he caught a whiff of the rat. More advice I get the more things I can try. I wish it was as easy as it is for my little girl. All I have to do for her is take hide off her and dangle it in front of her and wham every time.

Thanks
    Just hold it out in front of the hide he's in. I hold mine out 4 or 5 inches in front of the hide. It doesn't take them long to pick up the heat signature or the smell... Mine will hit the prey, constrict it, and usually eat it while being half inside the hide. Sometimes she'll even just drag the rat into the hide with her. I trust her abilities. LOL

If he doesn't want to strike it for you right away, you can just lay it outside of his hide and leave him alone for 20 minutes. Some folks will even leave it over night if they have to, just be sure to remove it if the snake doesn't eat it.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks
    When he was refusing food I would always leave it in there but it was always there in the morning. He is acting different in a good way though, like he's a completely different snake which makes me confident for todays feeding.

Thanks
    It worked fine. 3rd consecutive feeding! I have an electric heater I use to heat rat after thawing so I slid open the one door of his cage and pointed heater right at it while it thawed and he already had his head out waiting. After a few minutes I dangled it while he moved his head with it and then came flying out of his hide. This is the first time he has done that. Thanks for the tips. It worked!

Thanks
    Again I'm no expert and I'm not a keyboard Samurai with 5000 posts, but I've been quite successful and haven't missed a feed. Here's my routine...

I have no feeding schedule. I feed my snake when it's hungry.

- Wait until night time when they are active to feed
    - I observe my snake daily (this is where the "fish tank" guys shine) and look for him roaming around his tank looking for food.
    - Normally the first night, he will cruise a bit.
    - Second night he will be cruisin and craning his neck up to the top of the cage looking for food.
    - The night following those 2 nights of activity, I wait until at least 9:30-10:00pm and if he's out and active...I begin the thaw
    - I thaw in water that is around 100 F for 20 minutes in a plastic bag (I package them individually when I buy my months supply)
    - I take it from the bag and put it in the container, then head upstairs
    (Light off in his room, I never turn it on at all during the process)
    - I tip the dried plastic container on it's side and out the rat in it, on top of his tank lid
    - When he takes notice and starts to check it out, I move it directly onto the mesh top and prop the heat light about 2" above it
    - I flip it after 5 minutes, so that it's heated evenly
    - At this point he's pretty wound up
    - Whatever side he is on, I pull the lid back about 1/3 of the way on the other side
    - I take a good firm grip by the back legs with my foot long tongs and zombie dance, normally within 30 seconds he takes it
    - I then grab the tail and tug a few times, but continue to apply firm resistance for 10-15 seconds
    - Then he does the rest
    - Carefully put the lid back on without disturbing him and let him down it
    - Then I put the lid, lid cover, clips and light back on

I use the heat light for light, I never take my eyes off the snake. I focus on his head and I attempt to keep my hand out of striking distance at all times.

Works for me with my snake...
    I'm a fish guy with a girlfriend and 2 young boys who live reptiles and fish.

2015 Male Pastel Ball Python 610 grams - Damien (updated 4/24/2016)
    2013 Male Gargoyle Crested Gecko - Ethan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast