Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

1 members and 3,187 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

DIY monitor enclosure?

Hello,

I'm hoping to finally make the jump and get a Savannah monitor after months of research. I know what the setup should be like, but I was wondering if anyone could provide a link to a "how to" guide for a proper enclosure. I've looked on YouTube, but some are not that great.

I'm thinking of using plywood and sealing it with epoxy to prevent the wood from rotting out. I'm also considering adding aquarium grade sealant on edges go help seal in humidity.

Any thinks, info, or advice would be greatly appreciated. This would be my first major build. I'm wondering if I should start with a smaller 4x3x2 or similar for a baby monitor and upgrading after. This is mostly because if I do have a hiccup with a build, I'd rather have it happen to a temporary enclosure.

Thanks in advance!

-Ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Welcome to the world of DIY enclosures. Personally I think that it is the most satisfying part of owning reptiles.

Plywood is a great option to start with. I would get to a big box construction store and have them cut down a piece to your exact dimensions. I usually go with 3/4 inch pre sanded boards that come in 8x4 slabs.

You will get a lot of differing opinions on how large to build your first enclosure. I would suggest going to a monitor specific forum for sizing.

That being said, I've had the best luck with essentially just creating a wooden box that has one side panel open, where you can install either sliding glass or a hinged door. For heat and UVB I utilize two hanging wire cage lamps with one in the center with a CHE and one housing a low wattage bulb for a basking spot. I also have a t5 ho strip uvb light with reptisun tube light. All of these heating elements are INSIDE the enclosure, hanging from metal chains attached with hook and eye loops drilled into the ceiling. This allows for retention of both heat and humidity. Savvy monitors are not desert dwelling animals like some believe, and they need sufficient humidity.

As for sealing the cage, go with Drylok over epoxy. It is tough as nails, completely water tight and easy to work with. Dries fast with very little smell. It also has a gritty texture that helps with monitor claws. I use this in my sulcata setup and it works great. It can even be made to seal homemade fish tanks.

I know this isn't a comprehensive construction plan but it's something to start thinking about.

Thanks

Re: DIY monitor enclosure?

Hi Josh,

It's actually very comprehensive. I wanted to try to build something smaller just in case I didn't like how it came out at first. I was thinking of going to Home Depot for the wood itself, as many of them will cut them down to exact size.

I know varanustalk.com has been down for some time. So I'm open to checking out any forum monitor folks can recommend.

I'm thinking of using a sliding glass window as my front/ enclosure access.

What size CHE can you recommend to help heat the basking spot to the recommended 130-150°F?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I would use a 100w CHE in the exact center of the enclosure just to increase your ambient temperatures. Then you can use an actual low wattage light bulb for the basking spot. This allows a high temperature basking area without a ton of wattage that dries out the enclosure. Works wonders with my sulcata.