Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

0 members and 3,358 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Variablility in clutches

So I produced my first clutch of ball pythons last year and one thing that has puzzled me a little bit is how the offspring ended up colored. I had four babies hatch out from a darker normal bred to an extremely light normal, three of the babies ended up looking looking dark like the father while one of them ended up looking bright like the mother. Now I'm 90% sure I'm overreacting but what I expected to see were babies that looked kind of half way between the two in color but because none of the babies looked like a mix of the adults it leads me to believe that maybe my female is a morph. Again I think I'm just overreacting but I'm curious how exactly this works. Is it normal to see babies that looked like both of the adults but none that looked like a mix?

I can post pictures of the adults and the lighter colored baby if that helps but the lighter baby is the only one I still have.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Variablility in clutches

Remember when you are breeding Normal to Normal that there are 4 copies of the Normal gene in play. You can only see what is represented in each of the parents but that may not be what the other copy is carrying. If I were to pair a Lesser to a Yellowbelly and were to get all Lesser YB's, which would indicate I only got copies of the morph genes from the morph parent, there could still be considerable variation in the coloration and/or patterns.

Isn't this Hobby neat?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Kroberts10 (05-13-2016),kxr (12-13-2016)