Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

0 members and 3,197 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Vivarium UTH

Registered User GoodLookinBalls's Avatar
    Thanks

Vivarium UTH

What's the best way to set up a Heat mat in a vivarium? Am I right in saying that underneath the vivarium it won't transfer much belly heat because of the 18mm material in between? I use newspaper as a substrate. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    For one of my herp cages I have a zoomed uth and it passes through 1/2 inch of PVC and .5-1 inch of care fresh just fine. Another option is either a Kane heat mat or a big apple herp intellitemp heat mat which both can be use inside the enclosure.

Thanks
    It should be underneath and NOT inside as it has a large chance of burning the snake. Not only that, but there will be a bunch of unnecessary wires in the cage as well. I have mine underneath and set at 90 and its just fine, the snakes are always warm.
    1.0 Normal "Nos"
    0.1 Super Pastel "Cynder"

Thanks

Re: Vivarium UTH

Quote Originally Posted by Katan View Post
    It should be underneath and NOT inside as it has a large chance of burning the snake. Not only that, but there will be a bunch of unnecessary wires in the cage as well. I have mine underneath and set at 90 and its just fine, the snakes are always warm.
    Kane and intellitemp mats are made so you can use them inside the enclosure. I even posted about using them inside and everyone gave me the thumbs up to do so. They have just as much chance of burning a snake or other herp as one that goes under. The only way its going to burn is if your not using a quality thermostat. With the wires they would be in the way if your using a glass tank and don't know how to drill holes in glass. I have Kane mats and intellitemp mats in my vision cage, I drilled holes for the wires to go through and plugged the hole and you can barely notice them. Also they help with the ambient air temp being on the inside, not a lot but enough to notice.
    Last edited by chrid16371; 04-07-2016 at 02:55 PM.