So after getting myself a little more into the care of snakes I have noticed a major hit to my bank account for the food. Now I know what your saying, feeders are cheap. Which yes they are, if you are able to go to a pet store in your town and buy them. However, in my situation because I live so far north and there are no pet stores/supplies in my town (except for the generic dog and cat stuff at the grocery store) I have to order all my F/T feeders and have them shipped to me same day which is an astronomical cost in shipping.

The shipping alone works out to be almost 4 TIMES that of the food itself!!! Sometimes a little more than 4 times!! For example, I recently ordered 50 day-old chicks for my ball python, food cost came out to just under $50 CDN, shipping cost was $180.00 CDN!!!! Total cost for 50 chicks was well over $200.00, which is just ridiculous in my opinion.

So as an alternative I was looking into breeding my own food since i just recently acquired 2 more snakes, 1 less than a year old corn and another corn thats 6 years old.

So i bought myself 3 syrian hamsters, 1 male and 2 female. I decided to go with hamsters at the recommendation of a friend who has been herping for years and had told me that from his experience they were easier to care for than mice or rats, and less likely to cannibalize each other.

Before i started breeding them though I was wondering if anyone here may have any tips or advice on breeding hamsters? I would normally be posing these questions on hamster forums but unfortunately the ones i have been frequenting have not approved any of my threads I am trying to post and it has been over a week now.