Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,424

4 members and 3,420 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Suddenly skittish Ball Python

I recently got a female Ball Python from my god-mother. They didn't want her anymore so I took her in.
    She is a fairly sized snake; about 3 feet long (she appear about a foot shorter than her tank which is 4 foot) and appears a healthy weight, not too fat, not too skinny. We feed her once, monthly and have tried to get her to eat more often but she doesn't seem interested and never shows signs she's hungry in between. She is very very gentile; my godmother let her 6 year old play with her and she was just a sweetheart, very well mannered, never tried strike at him, ect.

She adjusted fairly well to my house; I keep her in my room and she comes out of her "hidey-holes" often to observe whats going on; go to her water dish; get in her driftwood area; sit on her heating pad, and it goes on. She is a fairly active snake, but not overly active and seems to love relaxing. We feed her live prey that's the size of the largest part of her (medium rodent).

I left to go to my best friend's house and when I came back she was really jumpy. I turned around and she was out on her heating area and I went towards her like normal when I notice shes out.. But she jumped backwards, almost like I snuck up on her. I didn't think anything I just assumed I startled her, but it happened more when I got anywhere near the tank; or anybody for that matter.

Is this normal? She is not timid at all; and occasionally tries to scale the side of her tank when she notices me standing by. This is really unusual for her and I am worried that she may jump backwards and get hurt by hitting something.

Thanks

Re: Suddenly skittish Ball Python

Is she getting dull in color or have milky eyes?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Thanks

+1 to Jamaid. Look to see if she is going into shed. Bps already have bad eyesight. If she is going into shed she most likely is not seeing you until you are pretty much on top of her. Bps natural predators usually come from above so she may be being startled by you standing over her when she didn't even notice your approach. Just my idea from what information you posted.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

Thanks

She is fixing to shed I was worried; it's my first time actually being the parent to a ball python, and she didn't seem to have any dullness yesterday; but granted I didn't pick her up because I didn't want her to strike out of fear. But her eyes are kind of milky like shes fixing to shed and she allowed me to actually pick her up today. Thanks for the help. I was really concerned something was wrong! <3

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypsosmom For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (04-01-2016)

Thanks

Glad to hear it!! Don't Forget to up the humidity in the enclosure or supply a humid hide.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Also, how are you heating the enclosure? Is that heating element controlled by a thermostat? Just curious as to what the temperatures are in the enclosure also? How are you measuring the humidity?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.