Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

1 members and 3,202 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Transporting Snakes

Question here about safe transportation of a 18 month old, 24" long, healthy snake. It's being driven by car about 5 hours north to us. Michigan weather being very wierd this time of year (last week 80 degrees but snow this weekend). Suggestions pls on type and size of container (we've heard styrofoam coolers work well) to put the snake in, what to include in the container and how long before it's transported should the snake eat (would think it's logical to move a snake empty rather than one that is digesting a meal).
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Transporting Snakes

styrofoam cooler would work good. when i moved my BPs to sell them i put them in a box, surrounded by strofoam pieces. just put some newspaper inside so the snake doesnt jostle around.one of those little hand warmers placed on the bottom of the box would help to. i would give the snake 3days to digest before you did any major moving.

i feel ya on the michigan weather dude, i hate snow. im in michigan also, how much you wanna bet itll be 80º again tomarrow
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Re: Transporting Snakes

5 hours is a short easy move, I would put him in a pillow case and place him in a box. With temps you will have to play as you get it. if its still really cold get a couple of hand warmers from a sporting good store if its really warm AC from the car should do the trick at keeping him good. just bring a thermo so that you can monitor temps.

I did 2 days 12 hours each day 12 snakes, 8 lizards, 2 frogs and 2 cats in my jeep in december tampa to san antonio, I used heat pads and a converter to keep temps up had each snake in a sack and each snake with a thermo was loads of fun.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!