Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,308

3 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Scale rot or burn?

I'm new to BPs and I've noticed my little girls she'd was going correctly. Then I noticed this. Is this rot or burn?

Thanks

Re: Scale rot or burn?

I tried to post the picture but I don't know if it worked.

Thanks
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 9,865 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Looks like a burn. Are you using an under-tank heater and if so, is it regulated with a thermostat? Unchecked they can get hot enough to burn your snake in minutes.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Poor thing, it looks like a burn to me as well.

Unplug that UTH (if being used) until you get a thermostat to regulate the heat.
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-16-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: sp
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

I am using a uth but I had to change it because my last one broke and that one had a thermostat. So I will be getting another one. What is the treatment of this? And this will effect she'd right? I can change to a heat bulb if that will help
    Last edited by Aug_17th; 03-16-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aug_17th View Post
    I am using a uth but I had to change it because my last one broke and that one had a thermostat. So I will be getting another one. What is the treatment of this? And this will effect she'd right? I can change to a heat bulb if that will help
    That looks like a burn.
    From a recent experience, (you may check out a thread I started that shares the tale)

That burn looks pretty clean. /what I am about to share is simply my advice and it is not based on evidence./ If your ball python has not developed any type of blisters, you may place it in a smaller enclosure that is dry with paper towels.

This will reduce moisture to the injured site, which will reduce the risk of tissue break down.

The different container (sterlite tub with lid) should be cleaned thoroughly so that exposure to bacteria is reduced for when and if there is a breach in tissues. You can find small tubs at Dollar Tree for $1 (wonderful place) Include a small bowl of water that cannot be tipped over.

The paper towels will make it easy to clean and easy to visually notice any fluids, or if the bp voided. Maintaining a clean environment is very important to prevent any type of infection.

Also- a vet gave me this gel for wound healing (it works awesome and fast) Ive used on other BPs and love the results. I would try to get some. Link below.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/carravet-ac...wound-gel.html

As for heat, I would definitely try to get a thermostat or even a rheostat, you can find some for about 20 bucks all over the web if you're on a budget.
    Heres a link to what one is:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...d8saAoM28P8HAQ

or

http://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-ETL-Cer...tat+controller

Also, if you do not have the means for a thermostat you can place the clean container over the UTH with a substrate or other media in between in order to mitigate the heat, just be sure to heavily monitor the temperatures. (not recommended)

/I/ would keep her in the container (with a thermostat) until her burn improves and sheds off to ensure no open wounds.

If the wounds do open (by blistering, most common with burns), then it increases the chance of infection. But you may prevent infection even with an open wound as long as you maintain the container clean. Always wash your hands thoroughly before handling her.

Again, this is how I would handle this particular burn. I'm no expert, but have some BPs that I care for and kinda have a paper that say I know what I'm talking about when it comes to biology and stuff.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.1 Clown BP
    1.1 Pastel YB BP
    1.0 Mojave Banana BP
    1.0 Coral Glow
    0.1 Leopard BP
    0.1 Leopard Pastel BP
    0.1 Firefly BP
    0.1 Super Pastel BP