Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,262

0 members and 3,262 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Cool First time builder

Hi I'm thinking bout building my own enclosure for Xena (the snake warrior). But plan to add a few more balls to my collection. I have an idea on how I want to build it. I just don't know what kind of materials would be best. I am building an 8 ft x 6 ft bookshelf type of enclosure. With the dimensions for each tank being 48"L x 24"H x 16"W. Each tank will have either glass or plexiglass sliding doors. And a vent on each side just don't know how to vent it on the insides unless I put a 2 to 3" partition in between the tanks. I'm putting a vent for the cool side up high and a vent for the hot side down low. Can I use plywood? If so what type or should I just use a hardwood for the whole thing? If I use plywood I'm gonna use drylock on it and stain it or either paint it. I'm gonna use aquarium sealant to seal the inside edges together. What type of heat set up would be good for this type of build on an enclosure? Should I use an RHP in all 4 tanks with 4 different thermostats or can I use just one for all of them? I'm thinking bout putting linoleum on the insides of the tank all the way around. Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I'd skip the hardwood and linoleum. No matter how well you seal it, sooner or later, moisture is going to get somewhere... You can get 1/2" pvc sheets at home depot for $55-$70 per sheet now I believe, in black or white. That's what I'd go with. Cuts easy, it's light, and easy to work with. 24" seems kind of high for a ball python enclosure, especially if you're heating with an RHP. The closer they are to the surface, the better and less power they need to use to maintain the temps. I don't think I'd go higher than maybe 18". I think 14" would be plenty high enough, but that's just my opinion.

For venting, could you just cut some slits in the back of each cage?
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Re: First time builder

PVC last for ever .. you can use wood etc.. but come the bottom line if you splurge for the pvc you'll never regret it. 1/2 the weight to which is nice if your stacking

them. I made the same as a T8 after pvc, door glide, glass was about 120.00.
    Spikell

0.1 Pastel Firefly - star
    0.1 Axanthic (tsk) - bellis
    1.0 Pastel Pied - skittles
    0.1 GHI Mojave - lagertha

Thanks

Re: First time builder

Hey Spikell,

Do you happen to have any pics, I'm curious to see. I've got to check if my local home depot carries the pvc sheets. If so, I'm with you guys!