Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,128

0 members and 3,128 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

underweight or underfed??

Just wanted to get people's opinions on my male BP. He is approximately 7 months old and when I weighed him at the beginning of the month he was at 166g. I feed him weekly. I have a bag of rat fuzzies from Big Cheese and weigh the prey each time he is fed. Each prey is easily within the 10-15% guideline.

Is his weight appropriate? Should I go to a 5 day feeding schedule and use up the feeders that are closer to the 10%, moving to the higher weight ones?

I've seen so many folks post that their 6 month old is 300 grams so I am a little concerned that my guy isn't measuring up. In all other aspects he seems happy and healthy.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Weight is a number don't compare your BP to other BP just make sure that you feed a prey equal the girth size once a week or every 5 days if you feel like you need to. Honestly if it's a male and it is a pet I would stick with once a week.

What is important is that the animal looks healthy and well proportionate the rest again is a number and a lot of things come into it, such as weight out of the egg, how fast the animal was started, how reliable of a feeder the animal is, prey size, frequency etc.

I don't weigh my animals unless it is for comparison purposes of how a morph age based on size or at customer request, it's all by look and feel here
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They are individuals and will grow at their own pace. A lot of people will brag that they're snakes are over 1000g at a year old. Yes, that can happen but that's an extreme example. I've had some get that big in a year and I've had others still be about the same size as yours. As long as he's feeding well and has good muscle tone then you're doing it right.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus