Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,225

0 members and 3,225 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Gravid Female????

My normal female and lesser male have been cooling and locking for a few months now. they've locked at least 5 or 6 times probably more, i don't remember exactly. So far i haven't seen any super obvious signs of ovulation or her being gravid, I've tried to feel for follicles but i either haven't felt them or don't know what I'm doing (probably the latter). One thing i have noticed is that she has refused two meals now and she is a very serious eater. What should i do to ensure that she becomes gravid if she isn't already?? pics of her are from today, she hasn't eaten in two weeks.
    Last edited by QobraQueen; 03-01-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Gravid Female????

Quote Originally Posted by QobraQueen View Post
    My normal female and lesser male have been cooling and locking for a few months now. they've locked at least 5 or 6 times probably more, i don't remember exactly. So far i haven't seen any super obvious signs of ovulation or her being gravid, I've tried to feel for follicles but i either haven't felt them or don't know what I'm doing (probably the latter). One thing i have noticed is that she has refused two meals now and she is a very serious eater. What should i do to ensure that she becomes gravid if she isn't already?? pics of her are from today, she hasn't eaten in two weeks.
    If you want to post pictures the best thing is to upload them to Photobucket and post them here, you cannot link pictures that are email attachment.

As far as missing 2 meals it can happen and it is not a reliable indicator. Did you observe building, glow? As your female been cooling, where is she currently located in the enclosure?

All you can do is keep pairing once per she cycle trying to use the weather at your advantage, she will either take or she won't, as for being gravid not knowing what you have observed so far and not having examined the animal in person it hard to tell, I have seen females lock 5, 6 times and not take, I have seen females lock 1 or 2 times and become gravid.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    If you want to post pictures the best thing is to upload them to Photobucket and post them here, you cannot link pictures that are email attachment.

As far as missing 2 meals it can happen and it is not a reliable indicator. Did you observe building, glow? As your female been cooling, where is she currently located in the enclosure?

All you can do is keep pairing once per she cycle trying to use the weather at your advantage, she will either take or she won't, as for being gravid not knowing what you have observed so far and not having examined the animal in person it hard to tell, I have seen females lock 5, 6 times and not take, I have seen females lock 1 or 2 times and become gravid.
    She has been cooling in the low 80s for a few months now, i think she may be building but I'm really not sure how to tell, she did shed a few weeks ago. how long does it usually take to become gravid? she first started tying in october of last year

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QobraQueen View Post
    She has been cooling in the low 80s for a few months now, i think she may be building but I'm really not sure how to tell, she did shed a few weeks ago. how long does it usually take to become gravid? she first started tying in october of last year
    Sorry when I means cooling I did not mean your temperature I meant her wrapping herself around the water dish or soaking in it. or at least being on the cool side. Where is she laying right now in the cage (hot side or cool side)?

As for building they become a little thicker in the mid body area which you can observe when holding the female head up/ tail down in front of you.

As for timeline there is no timeline you can start pairing in october and have eggs in february or have eggs in may or even july or later, the only timeline is when they ovulate, once they do it's 14 days to pre-lay shed and 30 days from pre-lay to eggs (it's an average and could be longer)

Here is something that will help if this is your first season and have limited experience http://ballpython.ca/breeding/
    Deborah Stewart