Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,355

0 members and 3,355 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Safest way to feed live??

I just got my bp about a week ago will try to feed him pretty soon the breeder said he was taking live mice I just wanted to know what was the safest way to feed them live mice. I'm going to buy some tongs but was worried that the mouse would wriggle right out or something (i dont know) I dont just want to put the mouse in there with the snake and risk a bite even though i'll be watching over but anything can happen in a split second so what do u guys suggest?

Thanks

Re: Safest way to feed live??

kill it before you put it in there. lol i know nothing about it, ive always fed frozen, someone will be around shortly
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Place the mouse at the opposite end of the snake, and just keep an eye on things. There are no need for tongs since the mouse is alive and would bite and try to get away. The snake knows what it is doing and knows what kind of grip is needs to keep the mouse from biting him. If you just let nature take its course, all should go well. In the event of a small bite, if it does occur, just apply some neosporin and all will be well again.

Hope that helped a bit and settled some of your fears about feeding your snake
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Okay so I place the mouse at the tail end of Osiris or the enclosure. What if i feed him inside his enclosure because he's always tucked away in his hide so he should be safe in there right...when the mouse aproaches the hide BAM!!!! end of story???????

Thanks

Place the mouse at the opposite end of the enclosure. Just drop the mouse in, and Osiris should go for it. You can either take the hides out or leave them in. I usually take one hide out and leave one in, but sometimes I'll take everything out just in case she decides to fling rat guts everywhere. Saves me the time of cleaning everything. If it is his first time feeding for you, I would leave one of his hides in, and just let him do his thing
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Okay got it yeah i wasnt going to leave both hides in cause common sense told me that if i were a mouse and i smelled a snake around i'd go for the nearest hiding spot and never come out LOL....Thanx I love how quick people respond on this site everyone is so helpfull.

PS one more question Satanic um..... ur title says POOP SCENE INVESTIGATOR what exactly is that???

Thanks

in addition to what was said above i would kind of pre scent the area the tank/cage is in with the mouse for about 10-15 min. just leave the mouse in a box near the cage for a bit and see if your snake becomes alert and gets into feeding mode. this helps with feeding live or dead.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

Talking Re: Safest way to feed live??

Thanx Kavmon good idea

Side note my mom is cooking porkchops right know I wonder if his stomach is as alert as mine right now the piping hot scent of freshly fried porkchops has got me into a frenzy...LOL

Thanks

Hehe, Poop Scene Investigator refers to my profession as a Vet Tech and loving parasitology. Parasitology involves ALOT of poo
    --Becky--

Thanks

Interesting......You know I once wanted to be a Vet....or maybe just a Herpatologist i've been in love with animals every since I can remember especially reptiles...funny thing is that almost everyone in my imediate family is scared of snakes but when I said I got one the first questions was what are u gonna do when it gets 100ft long..LOL...and can we see it (Go figure).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast