Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,417

2 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Incubator Methods

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothScales View Post
    Where do you guys keep finding retail fridges for free?? You must share this information with me.

(Seriously, though, I have a soul I could trade for the info.)
    In my case it was a local guy that fixes appliances on the side and also remove appliances that no longer work for metal scrap. I called him up he had a fridge that he already stripped down and let me have for free since he knows my stepson.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (02-29-2016)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    You can also just post an ISO on your local Craigslist and someone will usually give a broken one up for free and just be thankful to get it out of their garage.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (02-29-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Because of the size the fan wan unnecessary I had one setup run the incubator with it and without it without seeing any difference.

The heat tape is place on the sides.
    thanks Deborah!

that's like the second time in 2 days you have been very helpful!
    YouTube channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCue...yj1vBeeIUZVl2Q

Females;
    Normal 100% het. Hypo, Lesser Pastel, Super Fire, Leopard, Mojave, Pastel het. Piebald, Orange Ghost, Pastel 100% het. Clown, Normal (very clean and reduced patterned) 100% het. Clown, Enchi, Pinstripe, Black Pewter, Albino 100% het. Piebald, Normal 66% ph Hypo, Normal 66% ph Piebald

Males;
    Clown, Super Pastel Calico, HGWG, Pastel 100% het Piebald, Cardamon Fire 50% ph Hypo, Banana, GHI, Cinnamon 66%ph Pieb
    ald

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ARBallMorphs For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (02-29-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Cooler Incubator

120 Quart cooler (holds 8 clutches)

Heat Tape

RELIABLE thermostat (SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT piece of equipment)

Egg tubs

Light diffuser

Thermometer

Fridge Incubator

Fridge (holds 27/30 clutches)

Heat Tape

RELIABLE thermostat (SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT piece of equipment)

Computer fan

Egg tubs

Light diffuser

Thermometers

The fridge looks like a nice clean set up!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RangerDanger For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (03-01-2016)

Thanks
    Your local menards usually sells used ones for 10 to 50 that they took out of people's houses when they buy new ones

Thanks
    At the dump here we have what it called the swap and trade. Its kind of a horrible name for it since you don't actually swap or trade anything... just drop stuff off that you don't want that is in somewhat good condition and other people can grab it if they want. This is where I got my replacement front door which was in fantastic condition and FREE! Maybe your garbage dump will have something like this for you to get a fridge for free? Recycle, reuse.

Thanks
    I might get flamed for this but it worked for me. I used a cooler with water and a fish tank heater (thermostat built in) in the bottom. I used an elevated floor with holes in it and placed eggs in Tupper ware containers full of vermiculite. This gave me plenty of humidity, air flow was not an issue and although the fish tank heater was not accurate to the temp the eggs needed to be at, it was consistent. Once I figure out what setting to leave it at to give me the ambient air temperature I wanted, I just left it there. I successfully hatched multiple clutches of house snake eggs and a couple clutches of chondropython eggs with an 80-85% success rate if I recall. It was about 18 years ago.
    Last edited by enginee837; 03-01-2016 at 10:36 AM.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    I might get flamed for this but it worked for me. I used a cooler with water and a fish tank heater (thermostat built in) in the bottom. I used an elevated floor with holes in it and placed eggs in Tupper ware containers full of vermiculite. This gave me plenty of humidity, air flow was not an issue and although the fish tank heater was not accurate to the temp the eggs needed to be at, it was consistent. Once I figure out what setting to leave it at to give me the ambient air temperature I wanted, I just left it there. I successfully hatched multiple clutches of house snake eggs and a couple clutches of chondropython eggs with an 80-85% success rate if I recall. It was about 18 years ago.
    Some people still do it, there are many ways to incubate, the only issue with that method is the limit in amount of clutches you can hold at once ....otherwise it's perfectly fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    This was my first incubator at I think the age of 12. Hatched several leopard gecko eggs with it. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn it off when I finished and the heater burned out a hole in the bottom of the Styrofoam cooler when enough water evaporated to uncover it.

Now I use a converted fridge for dragon eggs and a cabinet hatchery model for bps.

Ebay has some interesting incubators coming out from sellers in China. They cost $100 and are in between the quality of a hovabator and nice professional cabinet model. All digital. I haven't used my poultry one yet (has egg turners) but they have gotten consistently good reviews. I haven't looked but I'm sure there's a good model for reptiles that could replace the $200 garbage we see in pet stores.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 513 Posts
    I made this one a while back. Holds 12 clutches and perfect temps.

Last edited by WmHrbst; 03-01-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast