Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,094

4 members and 3,090 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts

UTH temp vs tub temp

So I got all new sweet thermostats because the dial type ones I had just didn't seem to be very accurate (they had been working fine, but I came into some cash and wanted to upgrade). I placed the probe between the tub and the heat tape and set it to 90, after a while I was just getting tub temps in the upper 70s low 80s so I raised it to 95....which resulted in tub temps (taken by infrared) of about 83-85 after 48 hours of letting the heat 'settle in'. In order to get tub temps up to 90 I'm thinking I'm going to have to up the thermostat up to 100. I have a belly heat pvc rack system with two strips of 4 inch heat tape.

Do you find that you have to up your heat tape in order to get a good in tub hot spot? With the dial system I kinda just turned the dial up and up until I got a 90 hot spot...but that never really told me how hot the tape itself was.

Just making sure that I'm not crazy. It makes me nervous to see 100 on the thermostat even though I'm checking tubs at 95 on the heat tape and not finding any 95 degree hot spots, not even any 90 degree ones.

Thanks
    Might also help to note that my house is silly cold. Like 57-60 degrees when I'm not home and 65-70 when I am. I live in a three season cabin...it's hard to keep it warm, I spend a good deal on heating for the snakes. I'm thinking when the weather warms up I'll be able to turn the thermostat down again.

Thanks

Re: UTH temp vs tub temp

Yep, my house is around 68 during winter. I set my thermostat to several degrees warmer to get the hotspot right inside my tub. Very common. the more material or substrate you heat through, the bigger difference in temperature, or higher your thermostat will likely need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by piedlover79 View Post
    Might also help to note that my house is silly cold. Like 57-60 degrees when I'm not home and 65-70 when I am. I live in a three season cabin...it's hard to keep it warm, I spend a good deal on heating for the snakes. I'm thinking when the weather warms up I'll be able to turn the thermostat down again.
    In the warmer months, you won't have to change the thermostat, it just won't run as much.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Be careful about the temp. Take the readings from the bottom of the cage too. What might be 90 on top of the substrate can easily be too hot under it.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: UTH temp vs tub temp

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Be careful about the temp. Take the readings from the bottom of the cage too. What might be 90 on top of the substrate can easily be too hot under it.
    I lazer gun the temp on the glass floor.
    Mine seems to be about a three degree difference. The uth pad is taped to the underside of the glass, and is usually backed with foil, and insulation.

The top of the substrate is going to be closer to air temp.

Thanks
    I only have paper towels as substrate and I have taken temps both on top of the towel and just the plastic bottom. Cold house is no fun...but this place isn't insulated. I will keep a sharp eye out on the temps while I dial this in. Thanks all!