Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

0 members and 3,183 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Well this escalated quickly.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kokorobosoi For This Useful Post:

LittleTreeGuy (02-26-2016),Marrissa (02-26-2016)

Thanks
    $200 in labour is about what I would charge to do that job, your going to get what you want and your going to have piece of mind. Someone who knows what their doing should be able to bang that out in less then a day, with a good plan in mind. People who are good at what they do, don't do things for nothing. If they do, they either don't know what their doing or won't do a good job ( in my experience at least ).

It might seem pricey, but if build right, it will last you many years

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Not trying to be confrontational.
    Look around, and look at even the language. "Fair wage" itself sounds a little condescending...no? By the nature of his choice, the guy entering into this contract is a businessman. If he doesn't think it is worth his time, he won't agree to it. Surely, he has other things he would rather do with eight hours of his free time. On the flip side, your free choice too, so how can he be taking advantage of you by holding firm at $25?

My advice is only to set a firm final price, in case the project does take him longer than he expects. It is VERY easy and common for a contractor to underestimate the time and cost of a job. Used to paint houses, so I've been there with that.

Thanks
    I was never trying to insult or insinuate anything. He said the price an hour and I thought ok and multiplied that by 8 hours and thought "Ok $200 isn't bad". I just asked to see what others thought for building a rack since my mom questioned it. I really really do not like building things because with my improper tools it always turns into a huge frustration. So 20/21 tubs (thinking of doing three tubs wide and 7 tall now so I don't have to lift the auto water reservoir up so high) gives me 4/5 females a tub for a max of 105 breeding females. More than enough for me and I don't have to do anything but put them money down. And I really admire those that have the knowledge to build. I've talked to him several times at the barn while he constructs new tack and feed rooms. I've told him before I wished I knew how to build like he does and he offered to let me shadow him. If I had more time I'd probably take him up on the offer.
    Alluring Constrictors

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I build a lot of stuff, but it is all for barns or the green house. None of it has to be pretty, just sturdy and functional. Usually I scrounge as much scrap wood as possible, and I never seem to have enough of the correct screws - so then, I end up scrounging for a few suitable odd screws as well.

Working on rain gutter frames for planted buckets this week. (look up Larry Hall's Rain Gutter Grow Systems, if gardening interests you). My tools mainly consist of skill saw, drill (both cordless), saw horses, a right angle, and a tape measure. I used to have a bigger homestead (80 acres), and was also a land lady, and back then had a FAR bigger and better tool collection. Most of that was lost about ten years ago in a long-distance move - grrr!

Besides a cap on what he will charge you, just make sure he understands precisely what you need, and the specific measurements. I would bring along a tub, so he can check for fit. Do try to find some time to shadow if you can; building basic things is really not that complicated.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Re: Having someone build my rack. Fair labor?

I do carpentry work and I charge 25 an hour. If your concerned about paying more see if he'll do 200 for the job incase it takes more than the 8 hours, things happen problems arise. But I would say 200 is a fair price for what you want built

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spikell

0.1 Pastel Firefly - star
    0.1 Axanthic (tsk) - bellis
    1.0 Pastel Pied - skittles
    0.1 GHI Mojave - lagertha

Thanks

Isn't she perdy. I thought he would cut the legs down to about floor height, but I like it this way because it gives me room for stashing food or bedding or a freestanding tub. It just might be a bit tricky to fit the gravity water reservoir on top with the shed height. I really can't wait until the BF and I get our own house after I graduate nursing school. I'll be taking over the garage until a rodent room is built.

These aren't the tubs I'll be using (air holes would get chewed). I bought that hatchling rack off of CL a few weeks ago and had him use those v18 tubs to get it built while I wait on my new ones to come in. Between this rack, the seven tub cement rack I'll be building soon, and all the auto water stuff my bank account has taken a decent hit lol. At least this summer I won't spent 20 min filling water bottles every day or dealing with water bottles getting stopped up. So excited to have all this done.
    Alluring Constrictors

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

distaff (03-06-2016),PitOnTheProwl (03-06-2016),spikell75 (03-06-2016)

Thanks

Very nice !! Looks well built

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Spikell

0.1 Pastel Firefly - star
    0.1 Axanthic (tsk) - bellis
    1.0 Pastel Pied - skittles
    0.1 GHI Mojave - lagertha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12