Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

2 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Having someone build my rack. Fair labor?

So I'm going to have someone else build my upgraded mice rack since I HATE rack building. I've built a 6 tub cement rack and then a 5 105qt tub rack. Both times it was such a disaster and I was so happy when it was over. Improper tools, lack of help, because of improper tools cuts aren't always clean and drill doesn't do a fantastic job, etc. With the design I want the mouse rack I also lack the tools to do the T cut wood to hold the tubs. I will however build a 7 tub cement rack here in a few weeks. The design is an easier one to pull off than the 105 qt rack and one my tools can handle.

I want this kind of design for the mice rack with the tubs supported by the T cuts but it's going to be 10 tubs high, two tubs wide with v18 tubs. Also instead of that little square of a food keeper I'll have the frame "cut" in half with a board of wood and then another shorter piece of wood between the two tubs. This would keep the food at the front and give me more room to pile food while keeping it out of the center where the T cut wood board is. This design should give me more mice than I'll ever need for hatchlings even after I get up to the snakes I want to eventually be at.
    ttp://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75783

I was quoted that this should take less than 8 hours of work by the handyman who does all the building at the barn I board at. He charges $25 an hour in labor. That would be max of $200 dollars just for labor. Fair? Not fair? My mom insists this is too high. I contacted another handyman that a family friend uses and we'll see what he quotes tomorrow.
    Last edited by Marrissa; 02-26-2016 at 12:24 AM.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Where in Ca. are you? There are a few guys who build racks for folks just like you.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (02-26-2016)

Thanks
    Are you supplying all the materials? Thats just for his time and effort, right?

Honestly I would spend that much on a handyman doing regular house improvements without a problem for 8 hours of work. I figure that compared to buying the right tools, googleing how to use them, and then waging war against them contrary to all safety advice is simply just not worth it.

And its always cheaper to pay someone to do it the first time, then to pay someone to fix it once I mess it up.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kokorobosoi For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (02-26-2016),MysticMoon001 (02-26-2016)

Thanks

Re: Having someone build my rack. Fair labor?

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Where in Ca. are you? There are a few guys who build racks for folks just like you.
    NM now. I haven't updated anything on here for a while.
    Alluring Constrictors

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Time and quality cost.
    I'm from the automotive field and many people think I will cut a deal because I work out of my house...... nope. I still hade to buy all the tools and well you know what knowledge is worth. My favorite quote is "You pay me or what I know, Not for what I do"

I you are okay with the rate and know you are going to get what YOU expect to get then don't worry about what anyone else thinks it too cheap or too much.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Kokorobosoi (02-26-2016),Marrissa (02-26-2016)

Thanks
    That's kinda my thought too. I'm imaging if I built this for someone I wouldn't expect it to be cheap. You have to make precise cuts, the measurements are going to be from scratch since I'm just providing the idea and the tubs, and it's going to involve a lot of wood cutting, screwing, and precision to make sure the tubs slide smoothly without too much of a gap. I think $200 is ok for all that work. The other guy also quoted me $25 an hour today as well so I'll probably stick with the first guy since I know him more.

This summer is going to involve a lot of expensive rodent upgrades. Between the new rack and switching all five racks over to auto water.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    I do some handywork on the side and for 8 hours of work, I think that is fairly reasonable, if it's for good work. If he's worked with wood and built stuff before, and you're providing the wood/materials, I think it's a good deal. I think anything less than that, and then you can't really complain if things aren't square, or there are sharp edges, or cracks for not pre-drilling screw holes, etc... For someone who knows what they're doing, you'll never see these things, and that's well worth $200 in my opinion.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

distaff (02-26-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    An established skill is worth money. Tools and overhead cost money. He has bills to pay too, and if you aren't paying him $25, he is better off spending that time installing new kitchen cabinets for someone; that's his living. I was paying $25/hr. fifteen years ago in the Midwest, and still considered it a deal. That carpenter was worth it. Cost of living is higher now, and wages have been stagnant for about 20 years!

Only way you are going to get more for your money is to find someone who specializes in what you want, and can therefore produce them factory style very efficiently. Custom made is different.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Our labor rate for the shop is $65/hour. I'll assume for $25/hour it's a cash-only side job. I would pay it, you're not just getting labor, you're getting expertise and I'll assume the guy is using his own tools.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    This society dumps gobs of money into comfortably supporting scads of people who produce absolutely NOTHING of value, but has an issue with valuing anything associated with "working class" professions. A "wimmins's study" prof. can rake in fifty grand plus benefits that include a nice retirement, but the guy who installs plumbing somehow has to justify his earnings on every job. (Gee, maybe this has something to do with why America's economy sucks?)

....could SO go on with this...but I'm sounding like a ranter at this point, so I'll get off my soap box.
    Last edited by dr del; 02-26-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: replacing censor trip with an alternative wording

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast