Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

0 members and 3,269 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    At that age I usually five 50/50 kitten milk replacement and soy baby formula. I go half and half because kitten milk replacement has a lot of Taurine and soy makes it easier on the rat stomachs. Lab blocks or the non-medicated hog feed soaked in the mixture would be suitable for feeding.

Rats do best in trios. Duos are okay if they get along but can turn horrible quickly if the two do not like one another. The third adds a mediator and generally makes for a happier colony setting.

I can't really tell on the color, but it appears to be a blue, possibly a variant of blue diluted with a different color. What are the colors of the parents? Looks like some weird blue and AM mink combination but it may just be the lens color of your photos.

Congratulations on your new pet!
    I do not own snakes (though I have before) I am here to help with rat related questions.
    Rat food choices and costs:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ices-and-Costs

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lore For This Useful Post:

nightwolfsnow (02-25-2016)

Thanks
    Ok, not trying to hijack this thread, but can you guys give me some pointers on how to keep rats while managing the smells they produce?

I think rats are awesome, but the times that I bred them the smell was overwhelming. Even in our laboratory breeding colonies that have cages cleaned non stop the smell is still powerful. Any ideas?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I use scented candles, soy candles specifically. Soy candles have less harmful chemicals. Also, I clean my rodent cages with a vinegar mix which helps with the smell. Open windows, good ventilation, etc. I try to move the breeding cages into the basement when temps permit.

Rats smell more when they are stressed so anything that helps them settle down helps keep the smell down.

source : I have twelve rats two ferrets four chinchillas in the upper two bedrooms of our home. Lots of rodents. Rodents everywhere.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kokorobosoi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Feeder Turned Pet...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Ok, not trying to hijack this thread, but can you guys give me some pointers on how to keep rats while managing the smells they produce?

I think rats are awesome, but the times that I bred them the smell was overwhelming. Even in our laboratory breeding colonies that have cages cleaned non stop the smell is still powerful. Any ideas?
    Put real (not artificial) vanilla extract in the water to neutralize the smell of their pee. Use rocks in the cages because rats will be more inclined to pee on the rock than their litter. Periodically clean/sanitize or replace rocks. I find that you can easily litter box train rats if you use a sandy substrate in a shallow Tupperware dish in one corner and have some patience to put the stray rat raisins in the box whenever they go elsewhere. They'll get the idea in not very long. Having my males using a litter box and a pee rock has really cut down on the musk.
    I do not own snakes (though I have before) I am here to help with rat related questions.
    Rat food choices and costs:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ices-and-Costs

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lore For This Useful Post:

Kokorobosoi (02-25-2016),nightwolfsnow (02-25-2016)

Thanks
    I totally forgot to mention the pee rocks. Pee rocks are a god send.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kokorobosoi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Feeder Turned Pet...

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    At that age I usually five 50/50 kitten milk replacement and soy baby formula. I go half and half because kitten milk replacement has a lot of Taurine and soy makes it easier on the rat stomachs. Lab blocks or the non-medicated hog feed soaked in the mixture would be suitable for feeding.

Rats do best in trios. Duos are okay if they get along but can turn horrible quickly if the two do not like one another. The third adds a mediator and generally makes for a happier colony setting.

I can't really tell on the color, but it appears to be a blue, possibly a variant of blue diluted with a different color. What are the colors of the parents? Looks like some weird blue and AM mink combination but it may just be the lens color of your photos.

Congratulations on your new pet!
    I put some KMR on this sow feed. He has been nibbling away at it.

Good to know! I will get him two friends then. I planned on having Tony and Steve, guess there'll be a Bruce, Bucky, or Rhodie also.

I'll have to get some pics without flash. I would refer to him as a rose grey. The one of him with all his siblings shows his true color the best. I couldn't say for sure what his parents are. I'm trying to remember the adults that were there. I believe a black hooded with roaning was their mother. Those are all his siblings if that helps. There was a male with fawn coloring like the majority of the pups that could have been their father. He has white socks and a line of white down his belly, so I guess that makes him a Berkshire?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post

I don't mind at all! Good question to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
    I use scented candles, soy candles specifically. Soy candles have less harmful chemicals. Also, I clean my rodent cages with a vinegar mix which helps with the smell. Open windows, good ventilation, etc. I try to move the breeding cages into the basement when temps permit.

Rats smell more when they are stressed so anything that helps them settle down helps keep the smell down.

source : I have twelve rats two ferrets four chinchillas in the upper two bedrooms of our home. Lots of rodents. Rodents everywhere.
    I use vinegar for cleaning also. I've noticed that mice smell A LOT worse than rats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Put real (not artificial) vanilla extract in the water to neutralize the smell of their pee. Use rocks in the cages because rats will be more inclined to pee on the rock than their litter. Periodically clean/sanitize or replace rocks. I find that you can easily litter box train rats if you use a sandy substrate in a shallow Tupperware dish in one corner and have some patience to put the stray rat raisins in the box whenever they go elsewhere. They'll get the idea in not very long. Having my males using a litter box and a pee rock has really cut down on the musk.
    Like aquarium gravel? I have plenty of drainage rock laying around. Could I use a dust free cat litter for their litterbox? I have five cats, so plenty of litter lol. Have you guys ever tried the bags of volcanic rocks? They're supposed to absorb odors through ionization. You can get them from Lowe's over where they have the glade plug in stuff in the cleaning supplies section. I have one behind my litterboxes. I use the new Arm&Hammer Dust Free Clump and Seal, best litter ever!!!
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Champagne (Orochimaru)
    0.1 Mojave Bumble Bee (Gwnyvere)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Coral Glow (Jiraiya)
    0.1 Hypo (Kisame)
    0.1 Enchi Leopard 66% Het Pied (Matatabi)
    0.1 Black Head Red Gene (Kushina)
    0.1 GHI Mojave (Tsume)
    0.1 Piebald (Tsunade)
    0.1 Super Stripe (Temari)
    0.1 Albino Spinner (Kurenai)
    0.1 Vanilla Calibee (Ino)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Bucky bucky bucky i vote buck!

Edit: the forum won't let me caps lock, imagine that about 5000% more excited.
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 02-25-2016 at 10:28 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

nightwolfsnow (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    Okay, here's some more pictures with no flash, and a pic of his present mansion lol. I'm surprised by how much personality he has already! I like watching him hop around kicking up bedding. Last night he flipped a piece of his favorite food up into the air, and then ran with it inside the igloo before eating it and going to sleep lol. My usual rat breeder won't have any friends ready for another week.

1.0 VPI Axanthic Champagne (Orochimaru)
    0.1 Mojave Bumble Bee (Gwnyvere)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Coral Glow (Jiraiya)
    0.1 Hypo (Kisame)
    0.1 Enchi Leopard 66% Het Pied (Matatabi)
    0.1 Black Head Red Gene (Kushina)
    0.1 GHI Mojave (Tsume)
    0.1 Piebald (Tsunade)
    0.1 Super Stripe (Temari)
    0.1 Albino Spinner (Kurenai)
    0.1 Vanilla Calibee (Ino)

Thanks
    Nice!

I'd picked up four rats to breed for feeders... and ended up having to put two of them down for bad RI. They were filthy when I got them, from the only pet store I could find that sold rats. Then I got four more, when I found another place that had rats... and one of them was so sick I put him down the day after I got home. So now I'm at four girls and one boy - but one of the girls in the second batch was already pregnant. I isolated her, because the other rats were picking on her, and figured she had a week or two before she birthed. Shows how much I know. Two days later I had at least eleven pinkies in her cage.

Now I'm impatiently waiting to see what colors they will be! I'm hoping for a blue boy or two to raise up as companions for the one male I've got left, but I doubt I'll get any blues. Helga is a big, husky solid black girl, with a kind of dopey attitude. She sleeps lumped up like a meatloaf in her food dish, with her head dangling off the side, and chitters when I tickle her sides. Some of her pinks are already starting to show dark pigmentation.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

Lizardlicks (03-01-2016)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12