Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

5 members and 3,386 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question Is it my thermometer or my heating?

Basically I cannot maintain temps. Humidity is fine but temps I cannot for the life of me. I have gone from 1 heating pad to 2 pads and a ceramic bulb but still I cannot get my temps up. I am lucky if I see 80 on the warm side and I am getting worried. I am not sure if it is in fact the thermometers or my heating set up but I have tried 3 thermometers and of them 2 were hygrometer thermometer combos. As for the thermometers the first one is stuck it doesn't move and it's the cheap garbage the terrarium came with, the 2 digitals are 4 degrees off each other but the humidity levels are the same on both. I have a 100 w ceramic bulb/lamp on the top of the cage which is 12 inches high so it's like 12 inches and a half from the bottom. It is a 20 gallon 30 by 12 by 12, and I have a 8 watt heat pad on the bottom with reptibark on top and a 4 watt pad on the side with the side covered in the reptile felt. I have moved the probe thermometer all over, in the warm hut it is reading 77.6 right now at this moment. I am waiting for my infrared thermometer to help with this issue but it will not arrive until tomorrow. Any advice would be appreciated. I do have a screen top so if you have an idea how to seal it up somewhat to retain heat it would be appreciated. I love my little guy and I want to make sure he is well cared for so any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks
    You need a thermostat to control those heat pads. The bark is probably blocking the heat. Try Paper towels. Wrap the screen top in foil.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Sounds like you are monitoring ambient temps.
    You need to start with the surface temperature o the hot side that your animal can touch first.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (02-25-2016)

Thanks
    It turns out I have been reading the temp for where the unit is which is outside the cage instead of the probe inside! Derp! Once I switched it to the probe it was over 80 with a max of 90 and min of 72 likely from before I put it in. Do you guys know of a good thermostat? My pet stores here are sorely lacking in the herp department so I was going to order one online. I have amazon prime too so I will likely try and get it on there. Is there any way to remove my pad to put the thermostat probe like the picture?

Thanks
    Might not come off and work again. If you like premade heat pads look into a ultratherm. As far as thermostats go, I like herpstat. There's also vivarium electronics. Both will cost abou 100 dollars, but are worth it. If you want to go cheap, which I wouldn't, but I understand not everyone will spend 100 on a thermostat, try a hydrofarm.

Thanks
    I fixed it! Looks like it's 95 over the heat pad under the substrate.

Thanks
    81 Ambient! Yes! I will have to invest in a thermostat in the future for now I am always home and check him often, in the summer I will be going out a lot and will try and get it before I will be away for any extended period of time. He has a vet appointment for an initial check up on Monday, his first feed is tomorrow! I am in love with him <3

Thanks
    Get a thermostat. Evan a Cheapy is better then nothing.

Thanks
    You can also use a lamp dimmer as a thermostat but you do have to pay attention more closely then with a regular thermostat. Lamp dimmer lowers the watts in heating device and will maintain that wattage even in change of room temperature. So say your room is 70 and your hotspot is 90 but tomorrow your room is 85 then your hot spot will be much higher, same if the room got colder then the hotspot will be colder. But with a proportional thermostat it will raise and lower the wattage of your heat device to keep it perfect temperature. I'm constantly checking temps so lamp dimmer is ok for me. I will be upgrading to herpstat soon though. I would recommend you get a proportional thermostat bc they will maintain constant temp for the most part. The on/off style will fluctuate, it will turn on device when at 85 and shut off at 91, just like a home furnace, which I would think could be stressful to an animal. Whether you choose a lamp dimmer or thermostat you will need to monitor your temps, never rely on something that keeps your bp healthy electrical devices can fail at anytime.

Thanks
    I will likely be investing in one when I get a new terrarium later this year. I am home all the time right now and monitor him closely as I am doing online courses in the same room he resides in. In November I am going to college so I am going to incorporate a proportional thermostat probably the herpstat in September since it's my birthday I can likely get some funding I just got my infrared thermometer and I love it! I have 4 thermometer / hygrometer combo detectors in his terrarium right now actually and I now have a good idea of the temps and they seem to be great! He ate really well for me only 3 days after bringing him home so I think he is pretty content. It was amazing to see him grab it so fiercely when he has been so timid and gentle for me so far. Is there any fear of the infrared thermometer and possibly harming Monty? Since it can hurt my eyes I figured it can hurt his so I have been keeping it away from his face but it would be good to know just how careful I need to be. Thanks everyone for your feedback!