Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,339

0 members and 3,339 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Banana python male or female?

Hey guys new to the group! I poped my banana ball python and was told he is a male (experienced breeder) but when I pop him I feel like it's really a girl and he made a mistake. Any input would be great!

- - - Updated - - -

How do I post pics?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How experienced are YOU?

Sure mistakes do happen however it's usually females turning out to be males and not the opposite.

If you have limited experience sexing you may very way not be able to evert the hemipenes (wrong placement of the fingers, not enough pressure etc).

The best is to get someone with experience double check the sex of our animal.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Banana python male or female?

Thanks for the help I took a couple pics how do u post them to here? Poping was very easy for me. I was gentle and snake didn't react in any negative way! Watched a bunch of videos etc how to do it so it gave me some idea. But he/she has little white bump on each side. And the males are usually long and pink/red. I have a couple pics and I'll retry it at home the snake is 6 months old.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Have you sex other BP before and successfully done so? Males in particular?

Keep in mind that because you haven't evert the hemipenes does not guarantee that you sexed the animal properly, video do not teach you the most important thing and it is pressure, I have taught several people who too had watched videos and yet were till not able to sex their animal.

The best thing is to find someone local that can sex your snake and teach you in person so you can get a feel for it, after that it's all about practice.

I would recommend you to do so asap so if there is a mistake you can let the breeder know.

Telling you what your animal is based on pictures will only be reliable if you manage to sex your snake accurately.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-Post-Pictures
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

If I totally agree with u, that watching YouTube videos doesn't make me a pro! Wasn't expecting it too! Haha, Just put it out there. The breeder says his banana father, only lays males. And says he sold me a male 100%, I'm more then positive I was doing it wrong. I appreciate all the help!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Python.Freak View Post
    If I totally agree with u, that watching YouTube videos doesn't make me a pro! Wasn't expecting it too! Haha, Just put it out there. The breeder says his banana father, only lays males. And says he sold me a male 100%, I'm more then positive I was doing it wrong. I appreciate all the help!
    You mean sires males, while male makers mainly sire males they also do sire females so sexing still needs to be done. (My male maker produced a female last year )

Like I said try finding someone in your are and you will know for sure

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

If the breeder did not sex the snake because he thought the Sire would only throw males, then that's a problem, as male making bananas MOSTLY throw males, but it's not 100% all the time. My first BP I bought was sold to me as a male and turned out to be a female. I was okay with that

Thanks
    His loss your gain I guess. If he didn't sex it first.

Thanks

I will be taking him/her to a profesional vet! To find out! I know it's not all the time it's 9/10 times I heard, just bad way I worded my sentence. But do have a question for u, so I have an under tank heater, it's heating my snakes basking area to 32, now my ambient air temp is too low, but my humidity is perfect, I'm thinking of adding a heat lamp, one that is very low wattage, and small, the probe for my temperature controller is right above the heat mat, inside the tank (right under his little cave), if I add the heat lamp should I leave it on 24/7? It is going to be a infrared bulb, should I connect it to the temperature controller so it turns on and off with the Matt, to keep a steady temp constantly, or keep it on 24/7 what's your thoughts? Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Will I burn the bulb out quicker with it turning on and off every 8-10 minutes time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast