Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,379

4 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How did you get involved with "hots"?

I have a question and I, in no way what-so-ever mean any disrespect in any way, shape, or form. I'm just curious...

So, I've only been a snake owner for about 4-5 months. I myself got a ball python. I was a little afraid of snakes before, but have come to admire them a great deal. In researching, and trying to learn as much about them as I can, I've come across hots being discussed on several occaisions. While I personally find some of them absolutely and amazingly awe inspiring (I'm a fan of bush vipers and diamond back rattlesnakes), I don't believe I could ever own one. I don't feel I know enough about them that I could feel safe around them. I'm happy to look at them on youtube or maybe in a cage as I pass by.

As I said above, I mean no disprespect for those of you who have or have had hots. My question is, what got you started with them? Is the danger appealing, or is it just the appeal to the type of animal? I like a snake that I can take out and handle when I want to. I don't know that you can get that with a hot... not without hooks anyways...

I'm just curious and would love to hear "why", if that is something anyone would feel comfortable sharing.
    Last edited by LittleTreeGuy; 02-24-2016 at 02:18 PM.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

How did you get involved with "hots"?

No one? Think this would actually be interesting to hear as I was always interested in keeping hots from an early age, never made the jump. Be cool to hear how people got into it, first hot ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rob; 04-06-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    I'm in on this as well. Always wanted to but other people in my life simply won't allow it lol. Defiantly have a strong appreciation for them .

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Fascination, the same thing that draws most of us to ball pythons, Boas, retics, corn snakes, monitor lizards, geckos ect. I never got into them for the danger or the cool factor, it was just because I had a healthy respect and passion. and the short herping season here and long drive to find the good stuff, I wanted to see them whenever I wanted. I personally don't consider the less toxic hots such as pygmy rattlers, timber rattlers, copperheads, water moccasins for example to be any more dangerous than a large constrictor or monitor lizard. I have kept hots of 8 different species for almost 10 yeara with no incident or close calls for that matter.
    I feel like with the respect they deserve and common sense, many species make amazing captives.
    Now the down side. You always take a risk. Even if it's a 1 in 10000000000 chance you will get bot, there is a chance. My children come in my snake room only a few times a year because I am.over cautious. I have a self locking door and I have loed.my keys in several times. Ever try to find a pet sitter for your snakes? No how about when you have a potentially deadly animal in your snake room? If you do get bit, double check your health insurance policy, most will not cover antivenom for a captive snake. I would encourage anyone considering taking the plunge to really consider every aspect of it. When you are done risk taking and the cool factor had worn off, you arent going to be able to rehome your "pet" on Craigslist or online for that matter unless you go through the Delta airlines hastle.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chilliscale For This Useful Post:

Andylee11 (04-06-2016),das_nooblet (06-02-2016),Rob (04-07-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would assume it is more the scientific angle, rather than the pet aspect that is attractive to keepers. I get that impression from Viper Keeper. I enjoy his channel, and am a fan of Elvis.

I've been very distantly following the difficulties of the timber rattler, and the fungus that is killing so many off. I grew up in MA, and never even knew until recently that that state even had them, and now they are reportedly setting aside an island for them. I'm assuming (but haven't checked) that the relocation is to isolate some for bio-secureity (spell?). I sometimes post on a political forum that currently has a thread on this issue - it is OVERWHELMINGLY negative on the topic; I haven't even tried to suggest an alternative opinion.

Would never keep any hots myself. I am absent minded and clumbsey, but if I were to, I would look into that snake. Captive breeding might be a further assurance of its survival.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Out of curiosity, what would make you assume it's the scientific aspect? Is there anything other than viperkeepdr? I can't speak for many people. I only know a few people who keep hots
    Last edited by chilliscale; 04-06-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks
    I have kept hots in significant numbers for over 13 years. Currently have 1 pair of very docile cobras and replaced all my other animals due to having a newborn kid in the house. I was a scientist back in the day and I have always been fascinated with reptiles since I was a kid. For me the height of this fascination were and are venomous snakes and large monitor lizards. I got into hots when I was 19 with a monocled cobra! I was stupid, inexperienced and was just following my fascination. Over the years and after 1 significant bite, I got experienced and understood the risks more over time yet my fascination with them never went away. Adrenalin rush and showing off was never the main driver for me. Venomous snakes are ,pure and simple, just cool! To this day since I was a kid, when I see a cobra hood up, I get excited. They are a symbol of pride for me.

I mean look at this:

This was my leucistic monocled that I just rehomed and is the definition of amazing for me.

They are not for everyone. I would never let my son get a cobra before he was trained for a few years for example but for a responsible person, they are not more dangerous than keeping a gun or having a fast sports car. You just need to understand the risks and respect the animals.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Najakeeper For This Useful Post:

Ashley96 (04-26-2016),BeelzeBall. (05-13-2016),chilliscale (04-26-2016),Jeffco (04-26-2016),PhoenixGate (04-26-2016),Rob (04-26-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Dang that's a gorgeous cobra.
    "Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color."

-W.S. Merwin

Thanks

Re: How did you get involved with "hots"?

Quote Originally Posted by Najakeeper View Post
    I have kept hots in significant numbers for over 13 years. Currently have 1 pair of very docile cobras and replaced all my other animals due to having a newborn kid in the house. I was a scientist back in the day and I have always been fascinated with reptiles since I was a kid. For me the height of this fascination were and are venomous snakes and large monitor lizards. I got into hots when I was 19 with a monocled cobra! I was stupid, inexperienced and was just following my fascination. Over the years and after 1 significant bite, I got experienced and understood the risks more over time yet my fascination with them never went away. Adrenalin rush and showing off was never the main driver for me. Venomous snakes are ,pure and simple, just cool! To this day since I was a kid, when I see a cobra hood up, I get excited. They are a symbol of pride for me.

I mean look at this:

This was my leucistic monocled that I just rehomed and is the definition of amazing for me.

They are not for everyone. I would never let my son get a cobra before he was trained for a few years for example but for a responsible person, they are not more dangerous than keeping a gun or having a fast sports car. You just need to understand the risks and respect the animals.
    As someone who keeps guns, admires hots (but lacks the experience to keep one), and... well, okay, I don't really care about fast cars. Very well said! As I've had hammered into me since infancy: Always know where it's aimed, and always treat it like it's loaded. Leucistic monocles are one of the most amazingly beautiful creatures in the world - right up there with nudibranchs! (Some people might not agree, but nudibranchs are incredible!)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

chilliscale (04-26-2016)

Thanks
    Najakeeper, that cobra is beautiful!!!

Really, thank you all for the replies. I too am fascinated by the hots. While I'm fascinated by them, and definitely respect them, I understand they just aren't for me. I will continue to watch and be amazed and in awe of them. It's funny to hear you when you say, the less venomous like copperheads. Growing up here in Pennsylvania, for as long as I can remember, that's been said to be "the deadliest snake there is".... well, I guess for around here, that's true. Now, after learning more about snakes, I know it can be a whole lot worse than a copperhead bite.

Thank you all for sharing. Now I'm going to have to go look at some more bush viper pictures. LOL
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast