Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

2 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

I have converted: Only in-tank feeding from here on out!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their persistence and patience in posting why feeding in the enclosure can be more beneficial and less stressful to a BP. I have been feeding mine in separate bins for years simply because it makes cleaning easier, and I initially didn't know that "tank aggression" was a myth with regards to feeding. I figured since my babies were used to it, I might as well stick with it. Well I started feeding my albino black pastel BP in his enclosure because he went on a hunger strike for a month, and he ate instantly. I tried it next with my 2 BP normals, and even from their hides they were able to snap up the prey within moments. And yet despite this, any time I reach into the tank to handle them or remove them (withOUT prey, adurrrrr), they don't strike at me or bite me!

So I guess I also wanted to encourage those on the fence about the issue: give it a shot if you're having feeding issues. Think about how much more secure your BP feels in its enclosure. Plus it doesn't have to be handled after a meal, which can also be uncomfortable.

Now their feeding bins are used solely for transportation when we go to schools to teach kids, or to take them to the vet.

Thanks for making me a believer, guys!
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to O'Mathghamhna For This Useful Post:

cristacake (02-24-2016),GoingPostal (02-24-2016),ItsAllNew2Me! (02-24-2016),John1982 (02-25-2016),Kokorobosoi (02-24-2016),Lady mkrj58 (02-25-2016),Slim (02-24-2016),SmoothScales (02-24-2016)

Thanks
    Congrats on converting!!!

One thing you mentioned was about them not striking at you when it's NOT feeding time. That's great to hear, and they shouldn't. Something that I like to do, and I always encourage others to do, is to put a bottle of hand sanitizer (the pump style bottles work great) by your enclosures/racks. Anytime you think about opening that rack or cage, use the hand sanitizer. While it's not proven, it's my belief that the snakes, over time, will associate the scent of the hand sanitize with "no threat", and it obviously does not smell like prey. I've heard some people say this is also good practice for handling multiple snakes, as some snakes seem to be able to pick up the scent of other animals and may or may not like that. It also keeps you from passing any germs along to your snakes.

Like I said, it's not proven, but I'm a believer and I like to share the idea.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

Kittencaboodles (02-28-2016),O'Mathghamhna (03-03-2016)

Thanks

Re: I have converted: Only in-tank feeding from here on out!

I've had my ball for a year and I've always fed her in the tank. I was thinking about switching because I was worried about her eating the aspen with her food. Is that not a genuine concern?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bagrace9 For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (02-25-2016)

Thanks
    Looks like we got another believer:

Out of tub feeding

In Tub Feeding

Lol I am glad that you have had a very positive experience with this. I was back and forth with this myth when I got my first snake which was my Albino Snow Corn. The two clerks at the pet store when selling me the snake actually differed on this and basically broke out in an argument in front of me over in tank feeding and feeding separately. I ended up trying both and even though he is a greedy guy and ate in both just fine i felt that feeding in his tank was much better for the both of us. After I got Bps i just continued the practice and never had an issue. Congrats again!!
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsAllNew2Me! For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (03-03-2016)

Thanks

If people are feeding f/t, there's really no reason to move the BP in another place for feeding. If you're feeding live, that's a whole another story.

Personally, I don't agree with people who let live mice/rats run around the snake's enclosure. Not only can it be dangerous to the BP if something happens, it's also VERY unsanitary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    If people are feeding f/t, there's really no reason to move the BP in another place for feeding. If you're feeding live, that's a whole another story.

Personally, I don't agree with people who let live mice/rats run around the snake's enclosure. Not only can it be dangerous to the BP if something happens, it's also VERY unsanitary.

I disagree. I have fed live in the same enclosure for many years with my cornsnake and original BP and never had an issue with injury or unsanitary conditions. I have breed rats and mice and if I have had to purchase I know exactly where they come from and how they are handled. I can say I only feed my original BP live small rats while all my others only eat up to live weaned. All my snakes that eat smalls, besides my original bp again, get fresh killed. I can understand the dangers of unattended feedings of live prey as I have seen many examples of irresponsible feedings gone wrong. But can you clarify what is "VERY unsanitary"?

**also to add, my BPs never allow anything to run around their tanks. As soon as they sense them...bye--bye lol**
    Last edited by ItsAllNew2Me!; 02-24-2016 at 04:53 PM.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsAllNew2Me! For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (02-25-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllNew2Me! View Post
    But can you clarify what is "VERY unsanitary"?
    If the BP doesn't kill it's prey right away, rats and mice tend to pee and deficate on everything(as you might know from breeding them). Add humidity to the mix and you have an unsanitary condition.

0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    If the BP doesn't kill it's prey right away, rats and mice tend to pee and deficate on everything(as you might know from breeding them). Add humidity to the mix and you have an unsanitary condition.

**sorry i realized this was really long Sorry OP don't want to take away from your success with this post. Admin please move if necessary**

Hmmm....maybe its just me but i have never had that problem. But i guess all mine eat the rat right away. I have seen the release of fluids equally from F\t, F\k, and live feedings so i really cant say there is a difference in sanitation. I actually believe my Bp's mess the tank way more than a rat or mouse can for the short time it is in the tub. I have seen my Bps leave huge urine stains on kraft paper overnight which is way more than a rat or mouse can produce in the time it is in the tub. Is that more or less "unsanitary" as the rats being in the tub for feeding? Think of pine\aspen or reptibark substrates that are used. These substrates are left in tubs much longer than paper towel or kraft paper and I doubt that the owners do a full clean of these types of substrates everytime the snake urinates nor can they always tell it has been urinated on. Also combined with the humidity would also be technically "unsanitary" based on your description and that is caused by the snake itself. I have seen explosions occur from f\t, have had f\t with strong urine smells, I have also seen f\t with fecal matter packaged with them. These have still been fed or left in tubs and whatnot with bps so how is that less sanitary than a live animal being place in? Also look at it this way. Frozen thawed is a dead food item that it then heated up. I would guess that as soon as it starts thawing decomposition starts to kick in and bacteria that would not normally be in a live animal starts to grow immediately. So now with thawing you are allowing this decomposing bacteria to grow for hours then you transfer this bacteria laden food object to your snakes tub for them to consume. That sounds a bit "unsanitary" too. I don't have any qualms about any type of feeding as I do them all. I just can't declare one unsanitary over another. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by ItsAllNew2Me!; 02-25-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Albert Einstein

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ItsAllNew2Me! For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (02-25-2016),SamSimon (03-14-2016)

Thanks

Great conversation On this matter Im one of those on the line. ★☆★☆

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

I also endorse in tank feeding! We just got out first ball at the beginning of January where it was eating 1-2 live adult mice for the first 4 weeks in a separate tub. After deciding to convert him to F/T rats we kept the practice of putting him in a different tub and he would not take it. After 3 missed feedings and a shed as well as reading articles from Justin Kobylka and discussions here on BP-Net, I decided on feeding him in his tank. He took it after just a couple minutes of dangling and doing the zombie rat dance. Now it's like those YouTube vids on feeding F/T you see where he's going right for it when you open the tank with rat on tongs during feeding day. On top of this, he's still a very mellow snake. As long as my hands are clean a noob like me can still reach in there with confidence any time I feel like handling him.