Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,330

1 members and 3,329 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Taking the Dive - mice breeder recommendation in Georgia?

I live in Roswell/Alpharetta, but I can drive a good distance. Most of my commutes/travels are between Midtown Atlanta and Athens.

Are there any stores outside Petsmart/Petco that have healthy, fairly sweet animals? Female mice are $4 at Petco a couple miles away. I don't know if Reigning Reptiles would be willing to sex mice for me so I can take home the correct sex ratio. I also don't know who breeds their stock, just that it's a third party.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-23-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    Try the FB group Georgia Rat Breeders ( they may know someone) or Rat & Mice- Feeders/ Breeders/ Needers of GA

I'm in GA too, but only have rats, I wasn't able to find anyone that worked with mice (but I was looking for show type lines).

You could try sexing the mice on your own at a shop. Check out some pics of how to sex them. I know that at ~4 weeks, it is very easy with rats, so I assume it is the same way with mice.

Good luck!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I'm using Petco mice to breed, they do a real good job at sexing mice. Plus it seems they get them pretty young so if you throw a bunch together they will do alright. Seems like Petco also has a wide variety of colors, you can get all white or mix it up. I got some really fancy ones, some are almost too fancy to feed to my snakes LOLOL. Adult mature male mice tend to fight, I've seen some really nasty wounds on some adult mice in my local pet stores. The weird thing about Petco is that they keep a mouse tank full of male mice, apparently they don't fight if there are all males in the tank with no females. Just like the chickens I used to have, put one rooster with a bunch of hens and they do fine. Throw in another rooster or two and the roosters will fight to the death. Get rid of all the hens and have a bunch of roosters running around and they are perfect gentlemen LOL.