Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,382

0 members and 3,382 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Tips for set up?

This is my baby ball pythons current set up, i put in a hide and its sadly a clear hide i tried thinking of ways to make dark but i couldnt come up with anything, any ideas? Also trimmed the plastic to make sure it isnt sharp. The hide is pretty big also but he seems to like exploring his cage more now and he immediately rolled up in his hide to sleep after. Any tips on how to improve it? Anything i should watch out for? Im scared he might get cut even tho it got trimmed it up pretty good and there isnt any sharp needle like thing pointing out. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Bumblebee ball python

Leopard gecko

Thanks

Re: Tips for set up?

First things first. Is your uth run on a thermostat if not then it is unsuitable as it can burn your snake if it is unregulated? Next would be what are you doing to control the ambient temperature in the tub. The heat mat you have is only going to make the bottom of the tub warm near the mat not the air in the tub. Also you may want to sand down the holes drilled in the sides so they are smooth. Maybe it is just the picture but they look rough and could cut your Bp. As far as the hide goes, it is not going to make your bp feel secure at all. That is like you closing the bathroom door for privacy and it is made of clear glass, pretty much pointless right . What you can do is add a dark blanket to cover part of the tub until you can get a more suitable hide. I have gone to the dollar store and gotten a three pack of plastic bowls that were dark colored. I then used a soldering iron to cut out an entry way and smooth it down. It was cheap and effective. Good luck

** I also noticed that the tub you are using does not latch. You will need to make sure you secure all four sides of the lid as a bp is strong enough to squeeze through and unsecured section of lid.**
    Last edited by ItsAllNew2Me!; 02-23-2016 at 03:59 PM.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

Thanks

Sorry for my errors, this is my first BP. Well ill try to find a better hide then, my heat pad is being regulated. How exactly do you control ambient temps? Around What should ambient temps be like? Also the top is latched on pretty tight with binder clips so he wont be going anywhere.
    Last edited by Nathan7004; 02-23-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    Bumblebee ball python

Leopard gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan7004 View Post
    Sorry for my errors, this is my first BP. Well ill try to find a better hide then, my heat pad is being regulated. How exactly do you control ambient temps? Around What should ambient temps be like? Also the top is latched on pretty tight with binder clips so he wont be going anywhere.
    No need to apologize at all its a learning experience . Ambient is usually controlled by a whole room heater, Radiant heat panel (RHP), heat bulbs, or ceramic heating element (CHE). These are typically also regulated. Typically it is the CHE or Heat bulb. You put this above the tub or tank and have a thermometer in the tub. I have my ambient at about 80F. I have a fully enclosed rack and my home stays at 70 year round so my ambient stays pretty steady.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

Thanks

Oh ok sounds good then, ill get the ambient temps sorted out then. Thanks for your help
    Bumblebee ball python

Leopard gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    here's a nice quick set-up guide for single tubs: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...e-Basics-*DUW*

also yeah u at least need a dark hide for your BP. i know u might be tempted to peep it 24/7 with that clear hide, but it will stress out your BP. it needs the ability to hide and feel safe. get a solid color hide or spray your current hide with stone pattern spray paint like the one here - http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...tic-quot-Hides
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

ItsAllNew2Me! (02-24-2016)

Thanks

Wow nice, i love that clay hide, gonna try to make one of those, thanks for the link
    Bumblebee ball python

Leopard gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    here's a nice quick set-up guide for single tubs: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...e-Basics-*DUW*

also yeah u at least need a dark hide for your BP. i know u might be tempted to peep it 24/7 with that clear hide, but it will stress out your BP. it needs the ability to hide and feel safe. get a solid color hide or spray your current hide with stone pattern spray paint like the one here - http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...tic-quot-Hides

UGH way to one up me Ax with links!! lol thanks i forgot all about Vypyrz thread that is a good one. I also didn't see the DIY hides thread at all. Looks pretty cool.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    How big is your BP? If it's still a young one, or a hatchling and you need a hide, send me a private message and I'll send you one.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe