Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

0 members and 3,352 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

How often is too often? Or not often enough? (Feeding)

So, I've been keeping all of my BP's on a six-day feeding schedule. It's convenient for me, and it seemed to suit the recommendations I've seen as far as feeding frequency for young snakes goes.

However, the three I got most recently are, to me, a bit skinny... my CH boy is tiny, and the '14 Pastel Pied is smaller than my '15 Black Widow by quite a bit. So when I walked by their cages, and three little heads popped out of hides and whipped into S-curves, I figured... well, it's only been four days since they were fed, but everyone is looking well digested - and HUNGRY. Also, I wanted to thin out the young adult mice in the male cage.

So I grabbed three mice - I want to switch everyone who I can to F/T, but in the meanwhile I've got cages full of mice that I'm not breeding anymore, since I got some rats - and popped them into the cages. Suffice to say that I got a reminder to use the tongs, even when dropping a live mouse in. I didn't get bit, but there were three resounding THUMPs and three fewer live mice. The last tail is vanishing down a throat as I type.

Weights were 165g ('14 Pastel Pied), 155g ('15 Pastel het Pied), and 81g ('15 CH Handsome) as of last week, and they each got a young adult mouse - right around 20g - on the 16th. They got another of about the same size today.

And no, 'Handsome' isn't a morph... at least if it is, it's one I haven't heard of. But handsome he is! Took Lue out the other day, and he was all shimmery with iridescence. He's probably just getting ready to shed.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: How often is too often? Or not often enough? (Feeding)

I feed my young and undersized snakes 10-15% of their body weight every 5-6 days. Sometimes they'll get as much as 20% of their body weight.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Caspian (02-20-2016),SmoothScales (02-20-2016)

Thanks
    My '15 is about 170g and she gets fed about every 6 days. It may be the 5th or 7th day, depending on life sometimes, but she is steadily putting on weight, so I don't worry about it too much. Her prey is normally in the 10-15% range as well, if not a tad over on occasion.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

Caspian (02-20-2016)

Thanks
    Yep - a 20g mouse should be right smack in the middle in the 10-15g range for the two larger squirms, and quite a bit larger than that, about 25%, for the 81g male - but he's long and skinny, and takes them with no problem at all and a great deal of excitement, which makes me think that he needs a bit more to get some meat on him. I use the 10-15g rule in general for my snakes (except the Kingsnake, who is another matter entirely). I was just surprised that they were so voracious, so soon - really more like three days from their last feeding, rather than four. The little guy, Lue, had a pee and a urate yesterday as well - his first since he arrived - with no poop at all.