Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

1 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

How long does Doggy Bag last you per X amount of feeders?

So I posted in my local reptile FB group and there is a good lacking of feeder breeders here and many way overpay for their feeders from pet stores if they can't get their snakes to switch to F/T. I'm trying to see if my low prices are going to be economical when I move to supplying a larger selection of people. I don't want to just be breaking even. I feed my mice Doggy Bag dog food from Tractor Supply. It's $13 dollars for 40lb bags. That's about 33 cents a pound. For my rats I make my own mix and the current mix (with Doggy Bag plus a grain and cream mix) is about 50 cents a pound from what I remember. I'm going to be changing what I put into the mix since I found an easier recipe so I'll have to price it out in a few weeks when I need to make some.

I'm considering building another 7 tub cement tub rat rack just for feeders. (I don't want my "rarer" genes going to anyone as live feeders) I'm trying to figure out how long a bag of Doggy Bag dog food lasts. So for those that feed it how long do you get out of the bag per what your feeding? Like it lasts you say two weeks a bag for X number of mice or X number of rats. I'm trying to find a happy ground between profit to make the whole operation free (including the breeding I do for my own snake food plus the breeding I do to improve my rat stock and work on lines for show) while having some profit margin for the work in cleaning tubs, while still offering low prices.
    Last edited by Marrissa; 02-20-2016 at 01:55 AM.
    Alluring Constrictors

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: How long does Doggy Bag last you per X amount of feeders?

Because everything is so variable number of breeders and how much each eats, number of feeders and how much they eat. (Depending on the season some eat more some eat less)I do not actually calculate my cost that way. I calculate how much each feeder cost me to produce, and since production is variable from a week to another my calculation are based on a year rather than a week.

Between bedding and food a feeder cost me about $0.45 to produce on average.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (02-20-2016)

Thanks
    Awesome! Thank you that helps a lot. From what I remember of your posts you feed only Doggy Bag right? What's your bedding as well? I used Eco flake which is about $7 for 6cu
    Alluring Constrictors

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: How long does Doggy Bag last you per X amount of feeders?

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissa View Post
    Awesome! Thank you that helps a lot. From what I remember of your posts you feed only Doggy Bag right? What's your bedding as well? I used Eco flake which is about $7 for 6cu
    I do, I buy my bedding at tractor supply also it's the store brand of pine bedding (I buy the flake kind) which is usually $5.99
    Deborah Stewart