Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,439

1 members and 3,438 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

New terrarium heat problems

I just got a new BP from a family who could not afford to take care of her. She came with the Exo Terra terrarium 36x36x18. A 150 watt ceramic heat emitter, and a hood with 2 reptile UVB 150 26 watts bulbs. The first night I had it set up the temp on the warm side was around 85 the cool side was around 77. The room she is kept in stays around 72-74. The next morning the temps had dropped to 78 on the warm and 70 on the cool. I have been unable to get them to rise back to a proper range. I have a 20 gallon long that my small bp is in and I have no issues with the temps in his house. I need some advice on heating the new bp larger terrarium. I have even turned the heat up in the room she is in and that has not helped either. Any adivce, tips, and tricks will be implemented in my quest for warmth.

1.0 Normal - Jimmy
    0.1 Normal - Lola

Thanks
    what are you useig to measure temps cause a 150watt che. Should have absolutly no problem heating the enclosure especially with your room temps being what they are... I use a 100 watt in a tank a little bigger then that and i have to reduce the power to get correct temps

Thanks
    Is the top just a screen? If so, cover it with aluminum foil, except a hole for your CHE. That will help keep some of the heat from escaping. Do you have a photo of the new setup?
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks
    I have an Exo Terra enclosure too, and it's heated with a 150 watt zoo med red bulb for ambient heat and a UTH for the hot side. I also have a 100 watt che on standby in case I need it for some reason. Temps stay about 91 belly heat on the hot side and 80-85 ambient, depending on how hot our house is. It's on a dimmer so I'm always keeping an eye on it and make slight adjustments accordingly.

As previous posters suggested, I would cover the top in aluminum foil. It should help keep humidity in as well. You could always also try insulating three sides of the glass.

I initially had issues getting the temps where they should be too, but it turned out that the bulb I had was a touch too weak (60 watts for a 24x18x12 enclosure). Getting an overly powerful bulb and dimming it down did the trick immediately.

I'm surprised that the bulb you have isn't working though, especially since your room temps are pretty high compared to my house. During the day our house is never above 67 degrees at most and at night we turn the heat off on the entire lower floor at night and his temps still stay where they should.

Hopefully someone will be able to provide some advice that will help you out.

Thanks
    I didn't see you mention a uth (under tank heater) in my opinion its a must have bc bp need belly heat. A regular lamp dimmer can be used to regulate the power of the uth. I place a hide over where my uth is. Get a digital thermometer. Even if you already have one. Its nice to be able to compare temps. If you have the money get a infared temp gun. The more devices you have to compare heat the better lol. Also don't get just any digital thermometer, get one with a probe and put the probe right on the hot spot. I recommend acurite mostly bc so many people on here use them and that's why I use them now in all my herp enclosures. You can find acurite at walmart, home depot, and lowes. They do sell ones without probes so make sure you look closely. Its not the first time Ive seen a bad thermometer so having another or two is nice. If you want to spend more and get a thermostat to regulate temps don't get an on/off style, get a proportional they work just like a lamp dimmer instead of full power then no power. But you need to see if your temps are due to a bad thermometer or something else first so buy another or 2 with a probe and while your picking that up stop buy a reptile shop or a petsmart/ Petco and get a uth this will help the temps also if its not a bad thermometer. Also look for a lamp dimmer for the uth, its a must! Hope this helps
    Last edited by chrid16371; 02-16-2016 at 05:31 PM.