Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

3 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Egg Washing?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Egg Washing?

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    It pays to consider the source....
    They are actually one of the biggest facility and reptile breeder in the country (not obvious by the name I know), they are the one providing big pet store chains with their animals.

Still does not mean I am gonna wash my eggs though
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (02-13-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    They are actually one of the biggest facility and reptile breeder in the country (not obvious by the name I know), they are the one providing big pet store chains with their animals.
    Yes Ma'am, that was kinda' my point.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (02-13-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothScales View Post
    I actually thought this might do more harm than good because egg shells and membranes are not impermeable. Wouldn't dipping them in chemicals allow some of that chemical to pass through?
    As soon as I seen "egg washing" I knew what you were talking about...lol
    It does not seem to be a healthy thing to do even at 10% bleach. Even if someone thought it was a good idea to clean them, why use such a harsh chemical??? Baking soda prevents mold and is animal friendly.
    I don't use any harsh chems in the snake room at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

Still does not mean I am gonna wash my eggs though
    Second largest last I heard. This was the oddest thing I've heard about them so far and they posted it...
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Viol8r For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (02-15-2016)

Thanks
    Saw this when scrolling through my timeline. Still have zero interest in doing this, but thought I would leave it here.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothScales For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-22-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

OMG! So I guess everything we know about ball python eggs has come full circle? Is this business (his) really serious? He never mentioned anything about water temperatures in any way , shape , or form. Did I miss something? Very hard to believe his hatch rate is unchanged. First , clean the eggs off with clear water. Then soak the eggs in bleach solution. Thirdly wash the eggs in Bacquacil. Then rinse the eggs? Hey, what? What temperature is the water at these three or four stations. 10 minute soaking of the eggs in diluted, cold or unregulated water temps? IDK. Sounds borderline cruel to me but........ .... Not for me right now. More studies and research for me and most , I believe. Air dry????????????? At what temperature?????????????
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 02-22-2016 at 09:44 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    the spray at the end with some tough-actin' Tinactin athlete's foot spray was a nice touch after all that careful egg washing.

Edit: i can't comment too harsh or too much as i have zero breeding experience right now but those guys made the comment they have seen no changes/improvements/increase/drops in hatch numbers since they started egg washing, so why go through the trouble?
    Last edited by Ax01; 02-22-2016 at 11:12 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (02-22-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    OMG! So I guess everything we know about ball python eggs has come full circle? Is this business (his) really serious? He never mentioned anything about water temperatures in any way , shape , or form. Did I miss something? Very hard to believe his hatch rate is unchanged. First , clean the eggs off with clear water. Then soak the eggs in bleach solution. Thirdly wash the eggs in Bacquacil. Then rinse the eggs? Hey, what? What temperature is the water at these three or four stations. 10 minute soaking of the eggs in diluted, cold or unregulated water temps? IDK. Sounds borderline cruel to me but........ .... Not for me right now. More studies and research for me and most , I believe. Air dry????????????? At what temperature?????????????

It is his... The 5 buildings are heated to temps for the species housed (1 for rats, 1 for colubrids, 1 for lizards, 1 for bp's, and 1 for humans...lol). I have zero interest in doing this but have bought a few animal from there that have been great so far.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    They have been doing it or about a year with no negative effects................ Hope for more people to do this to better the hobby........

I would want to think that I would do more and longer research BEFORE putting my name on something like this and trying to push it on a community that has been doing "whatever" a lot longer than I have been there.
    For anyone that wants to try something new, cool more power to them.
    Personally I would not gamble my clutches and don't see a need either.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

CantHelpIt (02-23-2016),SmoothScales (02-23-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just don't understand the need, they seem to be searching for the solution to a problem that doesn't exist. WHY are they doing this????

I'm betting it has something to do with soothing some potential government regulators fears about a non-existent salmonella problem. in which case, how long before this becomes the de rigueur standard for anybody who wants to sell reptiles to the public? I have to say I am NOT in favor.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks
    I am only in my first breeding season and I am still waiting for my first clutch, which should be layed around 03-18.

So all I can say is; If people have been doing it like the most have for years with good results and 1 person changes something with no massive change in outcome, why go through all the extra work?

If it works for him, great! Am I gonna try it?

No! or at least not till it is proven it really works.
    YouTube channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCue...yj1vBeeIUZVl2Q

Females;
    Normal 100% het. Hypo, Lesser Pastel, Super Fire, Leopard, Mojave, Pastel het. Piebald, Orange Ghost, Pastel 100% het. Clown, Normal (very clean and reduced patterned) 100% het. Clown, Enchi, Pinstripe, Black Pewter, Albino 100% het. Piebald, Normal 66% ph Hypo, Normal 66% ph Piebald

Males;
    Clown, Super Pastel Calico, HGWG, Pastel 100% het Piebald, Cardamon Fire 50% ph Hypo, Banana, GHI, Cinnamon 66%ph Pieb
    ald

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast