Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

0 members and 3,209 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Egg Washing?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Egg Washing?

Quote Originally Posted by bks2100 View Post
    Maybe you guys that have a good amount of experience breeding tell me something, about how often do eggs go bad, and how often do hatchlings have issues where they fail to thrive due to unknown reasons (ie not kinks, twisting, etc)?
    It happens but it comes down to the fact that not all life are meant to be, from poor veins to hatchlings dying during incubation we all experience it (just like we experience slugs as well) however there is no miracle wash that can prevent and save something that is not meant to be.

If mold and bacteria were such an issue people would report entire clutches lost to said issue and many breeders would do what they do.

You can lose an egg or two in a clutch and when it happen it does not mean other eggs will perish because of mold or bacteria and failure to wash them.

Here is an example 2 eggs gone bad within a few days of incubation, both had poor vein structure so it was no surprise, this picture is taken at day 56 of incubation, as you can see both have rotten yet the other eggs are totally unaffected by the mold and decay and all hatchlings emerged healthy.

So sure you can bath eggs but I can tell you that most breeders who do that for a living producing hundreds or thousands of animals do not do so. While it might work great for them with the number of inexperienced people starting to breed each year that is not something I would recommend. New people have a tendency to emulate others based on what they see or read thinking if so and so does it so can I. They try to breed small females / males because some do too and they will probably give this a try as well and because of their like of experience it will likely go wrong.

I have experience and I would not even consider washing my eggs, because to be honest I am not seeing any benefit from it. Now if they start posting official data based on a few years of using this procedure I guess people may rethink the subject, until than it's one unnecessary step .

Now wiping down an egg and using athlete foot powder or elmer glue because an egg is starting to mold because it got too wet is another issue and always worth the shot.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-24-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

John1982 (02-25-2016),Slim (02-24-2016),SmoothScales (02-24-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue roses View Post
    The only eggs i have ever heard of washing with a special disinfectant are fowl eggs. I used to do this when i filled my incubator with chicken or duck eggs i wished to hatch. This is done to these eggs because the bacteria from the nests can cause the lose of chicks. The disinfectant is only for use for fowl. Maybe the artical you read was written by someone who is used to raising fowl.
    A quick glance at the linked article - or the rest if this thread - would show you that we are in fact discussing BP eggs and in no way have fowl been mentioned.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SmoothScales; 02-24-2016 at 03:19 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothScales For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (02-24-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothScales View Post
    A quick glance at the linked article - or the rest if this thread - would show you that we are in fact discussing BP eggs and in no way have fowl been mentioned.

I believe Blue Roses was saying fowl eggs are the only ones he had ever heard of being washed, and thought that may be the reason the owner of Gourmet Rodent had raised fowl in the past and brought egg washing from the fowl to the bp's...

I don't know if he has ever messed with fowl before, but I know he worked for the previous owners before buying it from them. My understanding was that they had bp's back then as well, and this egg washing is a fairly new thing for them.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viol8r View Post
    My understanding was that they had bp's back then as well, and this egg washing is a fairly new thing for them.
    It's mentioned in the video that they've been egg washing for about a year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothScales View Post
    It's mentioned in the video that they've been egg washing for about a year.

Yeah, that's fairly new.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StillBP View Post
    I do not wash eggs. I do not touch them except to weigh them before they go into the incubator and to put them in.
    You do not touch them,but you touch them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234