Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,397

4 members and 3,393 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

First real feeding day, success!

So he's been home for a little over a week now. Took a f/t mouse fuzzy within a couple days of his arrival, but that was the wrong size (and we knew it at the time, it was an accidental purchasing blunder). I was thrilled that he took anything at all that soon, not to mention f/t as the breeder had him on live. I was advised to just wait until the next feeding day to offer the correct size, and right on schedule he got very cruisy and started giving me the hungry eyes. I bought him a f/t adult mouse and offered it to him, and within seconds he had taken it.

It is past his neck and in his stomach. Should I keep an eye on him, or should he be good to go for the night?
    Last edited by PeanutButler; 02-10-2016 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks

Re: First real feeding day, success!

Good job yes just leave him alone especially if he's new and still setting in. Now you just need to set a feed schedule that you feel is right for him and yourself. Based on what i read just try feeding him again in like 5-7 days he's a boy so no need to stuff him. He'll probably be taking rats eventually so i won't nag you on trying to switch him to rats. For now if he likes mice he likes mice at least he's eating. I'm not gonna get big on your care but i will say i hope you got a thermostat for starters.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EDR View Post
    Good job yes just leave him alone especially if he's new and still setting in. Now you just need to set a feed schedule that you feel is right for him and yourself. Based on what i read just try feeding him again in like 5-7 days he's a boy so no need to stuff him. He'll probably be taking rats eventually so i won't nag you on trying to switch him to rats. For now if he likes mice he likes mice at least he's eating. I'm not gonna get big on your care but i will say i hope you got a thermostat for starters.
    No worries! He is being fed on Wednesday nights so that by the weekends he can be handled. I am switching him to rats soon, but wanted to make the switch from live to f/t first since the breeder had him on mice to start.
    For care he is in an Exo Terra enclosure that is covered on three of four sides and contains eco earth substrate, two hides in the appropriate spots, some rocks, and some fake plants that he's obsessed with (and water dishes of course). The UTH is being regulated by a Herpstat Intro. Ambient heat, belly heat directly under the hot hide, and humidity are being monitored by the digital thermometer with a probe that is suggested all the time on this site. The top of the cage is covered in foil, and ambient heat is being kept up by a Zoo Med red bulb in a fixture by Fluker's. The bulb is regulated by a dimmer that I bought seperately. I do also have a ceramic heat emitter for him as well, but have not used it yet. He seems to be pretty happy in there .
    Last edited by PeanutButler; 02-11-2016 at 12:33 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeanutButler For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-16-2016),EDR (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Yeah butler sorry if i came off like i'm talking down to you. I really didn't intend the thermostat comment. Halfway threw my 1st reply i got this thread a bit confused with another one. After reading all that i'm sure he'll do well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EDR For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-16-2016)

Thanks
    Thanks, don't even worry about it! I learn very quickly but I'm pretty new to this. Always happy for advice.

Thanks

Congrats peanut! I just went through my first feeding a few hours ago and was so relieved that it went well. Keep it up!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    It's always such a good feeling to see them take their food so quick and easily.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe