Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

1 members and 3,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How's my setup + is she uncomfortable?

Hi guys! I have just set up my tank. Here are some details:

Tank base size: 2ft x 1ft
    Substrate: newspaper at the bottom, 1 inch aspen shavings
    Water bowl: about 5" x 5"

Preparation: all plastic plants, hide, and driftwood have been washed with a mild soap and water. When dried, I sprayed an anti-mite product (for the enclosure and not those sprayed directly on the BP) and let it sit for an entire day.

Her usual set up is just newspaper, a hide, and a water bowl. However, ever since the new setup, my BP has been active all the time. She can be found trying to escape through the wire mesh at the top even with all the new hiding spots.

Just wondering if this is a normal response to a "brand new environment" or is this something bad (eg. the aspen shavings are killing her, the new smells are killing her, etc)?

Please help!

Thanks

Re: How's my setup + is she uncomfortable?

And i forgot to add:

she doesnt go for the hide at the corner even though she has been using it before and its big enough for her.

i tried to pick her up to coax her head to enter the hide but she only stuck her head inside for a couple of seconds, and then made a u-turn.

she even hissed at me when i was holding her... immediately put her back.

Thanks

Looks pretty! The covering of the sides is nice to give her more security. If that's just a screen/grate top then I can't imagine her humidity is at good levels, though. You want them to be at least 60%. A digital hydrometer is better at measuring than the highly inaccurate dial one. What are her hot side and cold side temps at, and what's her ambient temperature? And how are you measuring these temperatures? All of these aspects are very important.

An active BP can indicate a stressed BP. If this cage is bigger than her last that can stress her, or you could consider getting her another hide - one for the hot side and another for the cold side. The current hide she has has a big entrance, so it may not do too much to make her feel snug and secure. Usually aspen makes them feel a little more secure as they can burrow in it a bit. As far as mite prevention and using any chemicals - I can't help with that, I've thankfully never had to deal with mites and I just use newspaper and plastic hides.
    Last edited by Galaxygirl; 02-10-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    I honestly think the tank may be too small. Also think it needs a second hide. right now she cant be warm and safe at the same time if thats what she want. Also like mentioned, humidity is likely low.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxygirl View Post
    Looks pretty! The covering of the sides is nice to give her more security. If that's just a screen/grate top then I can't imagine her humidity is at good levels, though. You want them to be at least 60%. A digital hydrometer is better at measuring than the highly inaccurate dial one. What are her hot side and cold side temps at, and what's her ambient temperature? And how are you measuring these temperatures? All of these aspects are very important.

An active BP can indicate a stressed BP. If this cage is bigger than her last that can stress her, or you could consider getting her another hide - one for the hot side and another for the cold side. The current hide she has has a big entrance, so it may not do too much to make her feel snug and secure. Usually aspen makes them feel a little more secure as they can burrow in it a bit. As far as mite prevention and using any chemicals - I can't help with that, I've thankfully never had to deal with mites and I just use newspaper and plastic hides.
    Hey galaxygirl, temperature and humidity are no issues as I live in SE Asia where the temperature ranges from 26 to 32 degrees celcius (79 to 90 Fahrenheit), and humidity is mostly always about 74%. 😀

As such, I don't really need a hot and cold hide or UTH heat pads.

The tank is the same one which she was living in for the past few days though, although the hide I used was actually an overturned flower pot which she loves. Maybe I'll try changing the hide.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Hey! Just some thoughts

You need a hide on the warm and cool side. Identical hides, preferably, and ones that are tight and snug like the black reptile basics hide. You can use something as simple as a tupperwear with a 'door' cut in it. If a bp is given two identical hides, they won't sacrifice their temperature regulation for the more comfortable hide.

You should cover the lid with something like tinfoil wrapped around cardboard to try and keep in more humidity. That, or go for a plexiglass lid.

How are you heating? UTH on a thermostat? Lights?

How are you measuring temps?
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks
    I dont see any heat source - or thermometers. How are you regulating heat? Or humidity? Mesh is constantly open then the heat will just escape?

Is there a heat source under the hide?
    YOU HAVENT GOT A PYTHON THEY GET LIKE 50FT!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djstarfall View Post
    Hey galaxygirl, temperature and humidity are no issues as I live in SE Asia where the temperature ranges from 26 to 32 degrees celcius (79 to 90 Fahrenheit), and humidity is mostly always about 74%. 😀

The tank is the same one which she was living in for the past few days though, although the hide I used was actually an overturned flower pot which she loves. Maybe I'll try changing the hide.

This is not true and its pretty stupid to presume. Snakes need belly heat to help digest food and keep there blood and organs going, and a difference in temperature to thermoregulate. You need one side hotter then the other - not just "the rooms the right temperature" you have no clue of the humidity in the cage - just because your room is 74 means nothing. Heat removes Humidity... You need to rethink what you are setting up... She wont be happy without these things.
    YOU HAVENT GOT A PYTHON THEY GET LIKE 50FT!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djstarfall View Post
    Hey galaxygirl, temperature and humidity are no issues as I live in SE Asia where the temperature ranges from 26 to 32 degrees celcius (79 to 90 Fahrenheit), and humidity is mostly always about 74%. ��

You keep her in a room that is that humid and that hot? Humidity and heat in Houston is high all the time, but indoors it is not. Our temps indoors we don't keep above 74, so unless you're incredibly acclimated or keep her in a separate room, I find it hard to imagine living in 80+ degree heat and high humidity.. If you have no way of measuring the temperatures and humidity in her enclosure it may be hard to regulate. But, if you've had her a for a long time and have never had a problem with her sheds, humidity is probably fine. As someone else suggested, I do not think her enclosure is too big. Ball Pythons live in cramped burrows and termite mounds, they just need enough room to regulate their temperature. I'd try putting her pot back in and see how her behaviour changes.
    Last edited by Galaxygirl; 02-10-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxygirl View Post
    You keep her in a room that is that humid and that hot? Humidity and heat in Houston is high all the time, but indoors it is not. Our temps indoors we don't keep above 74, so unless you're incredibly acclimated or keep her in a separate room, I find it hard to imagine living in 80+ degree heat and high humidity.. If you have no way of measuring the temperatures and humidity in her enclosure it may be hard to regulate. But, if you've had her a for a long time and have never had a problem with her sheds, humidity is probably fine. As someone else suggested, I do not think her enclosure is too big. Ball Pythons live in cramped burrows and termite mounds, they just need enough room to regulate their temperature. I'd try putting her pot back in and see how her behaviour changes.
    Hey galaxygirl, I put her in the shaded patio where there's plenty of air flow and yes, it's really humid and warm here in SE Asia. Think "Thailand" and you'll get what I mean

She has shed once since gotten her 3 weeks ago. Perfect shed though. Been eating live without hesitation and also prekilled without even thinking twice!

She is a captive bred BP from a neighboring country so the weather conditions are exactly the same throughout her 7 month life.

On an update: I took your advice on the hide with large entrance and replaced it with the overturned flowerpot. She loves it! All is well

11. The Following User Says Thank You to djstarfall For This Useful Post:

cristacake (02-10-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast