Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,066

1 members and 3,065 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Hatchling tub sizes

So there's a really good chance I'm buying this reptile rack off Craigslist. It looks to have has 42 v15 tubs, 40 v18s, and 2 v35s. (tub sizes listed, then I'm just counting the tubs of each size from the pic) Up to how many grams would you keep a ball python in each of these? I'm looking for a decent start hatchling rack.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    I'm not the best to give personal experience on this, I don't have any vision tubs. But I have looked at them a lot and seen what a lot of people had said. The v15's I haven't looked into much, but that's because everyone uses v18's for hatchlings just fine. But I've seen people say they keep snakes up to like 800g with 500-600g being the typical point where they move them up. The v35s are basically 28qt sterilite size (close enough) so I'd move everything from the v18 to the v35s at 500-600g and then when females get to breeding weight I'd move them up to a bigger container (41qt sterilite or cb70).

This link gives you a good example of what size snakes look like in the v18 http://www.metalmonkeyexotics.com/blog/?p=4643

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Hatchling tub sizes

I would only keep hatchling in the V18, I keep mine from the time they hatch until they reach 650 grams in V18, the problem with the V35s is that you will not be able to keep anything larger than what you keep in the V18 because of it's height which is the same, they make great tubs for adult hognose though

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Hmm trying to decide what to do then. Rack is priced 280. Which gives me more v18 tubs than buying a CSerpants rack for the same price. I plan on selling most of my hatchlings (but realize the many not sell as quickly as I'd like) and only holding a select few back depending upon how lucky I get. I have a 12 tall AP v70 rack so something to grow up babies for selling and for keeping and keep my males in is what I need. Really not sure which way to go.

And thank you for the help guys. I really appreciate it.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i don't have a Vision rack but i have a Boaphile Rhinoraxx that holds 20 Sterilite 1851 tubs. i got it on CL as well from a lady that used it to raise BRB's for a season and i got it with the intent to hold my own hatchlings when i begin my projects.

anyway the tubs are 14 x 7.5 x 4.5, pretty much a 6-7 quart tub. i used a hide in the tub although it's not necessary. i've been able to keep hatchings in this rack/set-up and other 6 quart tubs fine until they're 300-plus grams. (but keep in mind, my BP's are still pets and i move them up tub sizes as they mature.)
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissa View Post
    Hmm trying to decide what to do then. Rack is priced 280. Which gives me more v18 tubs than buying a CSerpants rack for the same price. I plan on selling most of my hatchlings (but realize the many not sell as quickly as I'd like) and only holding a select few back depending upon how lucky I get. I have a 12 tall AP v70 rack so something to grow up babies for selling and for keeping and keep my males in is what I need. Really not sure which way to go.

Being able to keep hatchlings in the V18 until they reach 650/750 grams will without a doubt give you plenty of time to sell them should they not sell as fast as you wish, and if you are holding back animals it will allow you to transition them from hatchling rack to adult racks.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (02-11-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissa View Post

How many snakes do you have? If that big rack is all you have then I'd say the v18 rack would be perfect. Once they get to 600 or so then move them to the v70 rack. If you run out of space on the v70 rack then you'll just have to build a new rack. Maybe the v35s tubs will get you by a little longer but like Deborah said it's limited in height so I'd follow her advice on them not being too much bigger. I'll be in your situation in a year or two though, by my first clutch I'll plan to have a big v70/41qt rack and a v18 rack. Once I run out of space in the big rack I'll either build another big rack and just keep males in bigger tubs than necessary, or I'll just build a smaller 28qt rack for just males. I just feel like those 3 racks cover every size possible and they cover them well. I might even just keep males in 41qt until (or maybe I should say IF) I get to the point where I have multiple big female racks and need the 28qt racks to fit into the room.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bks2100 For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Fifteen. Only ten of those are BPs though. I have two T8s too. I'm thinking about buying it if it hasn't sold by this weekend (when I'm able to pick it up). I guess in the future it'll give me plenty of room if i have quite a few clutches at once. I do need a good 41qt rack too. But with being in nursing school, that might have to wait until hatchlings sell and hopefully fund that. I HATE building rat racks. And the one I recently build from scratch (as in no blue print from online since is 105qt tubs) has been a PITA to get right (some of that is due to not having very good tools). I feel like a snake rack is harder to build and that intimidates me.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Ah meant 28qt not 41qt.
    Alluring Constrictors