Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

2 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Sudden Beardie Personality Change???

Hey guys, I've noticed a huge change in my 1.5 year old beardies personality. It could be due to a number of factors, but I'm pretty concerned and since she is my first bearded dragon I'd really appreciate some advice!!

I've raised her from just a couple months old and she has been very affectionate and tame in the past, but lately she has been adverse to food and napping quite a lot during the day. I know that it is most likely signs of brumation, however she has also started to straight up run away/thrash around, blacken her beard and gape her mouth at me when I attempt to so much as pet her, and ignore even her favourite treats. Is this normal behaviour for a beardie going into brumation? Another contributing factor is that we have just recently moved into a new home, could the move also be effecting her? Should I just leave her alone until she is ready to be handled again? I'm afraid that forcing her to come out for crickets or baths will break her trust in me. How will I know when she is feeling better? Could it be that there is some other problem going on?

She is in a 75 gallon tank, around 77 degrees on the cool side, and 105 in the basking area. I have been making sure to leave out some greens and a small bowl of meal worms just in case she wants to eat something. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks
    Brumation sounds likely.
    https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums...p?f=5&t=220896

Few articles in there that should help. Mine gets cranky when she's brumating. Just make sure you keep it hydrated (warm bath every week or two).

They aren't always consistent with how they come out of it either. Some years, mine is just suddenly alert again out of the blue, and others it takes a few days to snap out.

Slight tangent: meal worms kinda suck as a feeder. Very low meat/chitin ratio. Roaches/superworms/crickets are my preferred choices.

Thanks

Re: Sudden Beardie Personality Change???

Yeah I know that mealworms aren't ideal, I just hate keeping crickets in the tank since they hide in all of the nooks and crannys. I usually feed her crickets in a separate enclosure, but since she's been so grouchy I figured I should leave something for her something that she can eat whenever she wants. I'll be sure to check out that thread. Thanks!!
    Last edited by devonascended; 02-08-2016 at 01:39 PM.