Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

0 members and 3,358 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help! small moving lump on my bp's underbelly?

My python has a beating lump on/in her stomach? It's not constantly moving but it will beat a few times every 10 to 30 secs.. (I only witnessed it twice really good before she crawled into a diff position. you can't tell when her stomach is on the ground so I'm not too sure how long she has had it) she hasn't been acting strange as far as I can tell. She did get a rat bite under her chin (which I treated) and afterwards she spent a few days trying to rub it on everything and pretty much trashed her cage.. but I figured that was on account of the bite bothering her. She stopped rubbing 2 days ago.. but maybe it was something internal bothering her as well? She seems to be acting normal. I fed her 4 days ago and she used that bathroom yesterday and is out and about like normal looking for food. She seems comfortable.. I've looked online but haven't really found anything about small pulsating bumps.. It almost looks like someone taking a pin and pushing it quickly against her skin from the the inside. What should I do? Should I panic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Thanks

Re: Help! small moving lump on my bp's underbelly?

Well that sounds like an odd thing, I have no Idea the only thing thst crosses my mind is some kinda worms snakes can have worms, you could take a sample of his potty and have it lookef at by a vet. On those live Rodents to many times the snake gets bit he might just be afraid of his food at some point on my Balls I got them all switched over to F/T its alot more safe, Ive seen some pretty bad damage that live rats and mice have done to Snakes it scared me after seeing the pictures.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks
    Where exactly is the lump? Is it where she would have been connected to the yolk as a baby? I'm thinking it could be a hernia. And if it's in that area it could be an umbilical cord hernia which is caused from the muscles not closing completely after absorbing the yolk sack and it causes the organs to fall through that week spot.
    Is it firm or sort of soft? Does it come and go?
    the pulsating could be from the organs moving if it is a hernia.
    Last edited by Riinei; 02-08-2016 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riinei View Post
    Where exactly is the lump? Is it where she would have been connected to the yolk as a baby? I'm thinking it could be a hernia. And if it's in that area it could be an umbilical cord hernia which is caused from the muscles not closing completely after absorbing the yolk sack and it causes the organs to fall through that week spot.
    It's just around the middle or her body maybe slightly lower. I was thinking it could be that. (had a horse develop one after colic surgery once.. kinda reminded me of it) I haven't tried to touch the area yet. I didn't want to accidentally further injure her. I don't know if it comes and goes. This is the first time I've seen it but I'm definitely going to have an eye out for it now. If it is a hernia there isn't much to do is there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady mkrj58 View Post
    Well that sounds like an odd thing, I have no Idea the only thing thst crosses my mind is some kinda worms snakes can have worms, you could take a sample of his potty and have it lookef at by a vet. On those live Rodents to many times the snake gets bit he might just be afraid of his food at some point on my Balls I got them all switched over to F/T its alot more safe, Ive seen some pretty bad damage that live rats and mice have done to Snakes it scared me after seeing the pictures.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Thanks I hadn't thought of worms as a possibility. They would have to be some strong worms to move her stomach the way it was moving. I know worms can weaken intestines but that would not effect the muscles that cover them and to me it seems like ball pythons should have pretty strong muscles because they are constrictors. I have been trying to move her to pre-killed prey but she was started on live and is being stubborn. She eats like a beast though. This is her second bite around her head and it makes me terrified for her eyes so she should be scared of her prey. She needs to aim better if she's gonna insist of killing her meals herself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riinei View Post
    She has also grown quite a bit lately. So maybe her muscles have not caught up, were torn or a previously minor gap has been stretched out

Thanks

Any thoughts on feeding her if she seems healthy and willing to eat?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    What you are describing sounds like a beating heart to me.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (02-08-2016),dr del (02-08-2016),Lady mkrj58 (02-08-2016)

Thanks

+1 on reinz. A forum member actually posted a video of what you may be describing after he scared his ball python. Ill see if i can find it.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    What you are describing sounds like a beating heart to me.
    This - try not to break it.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast