Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

3 members and 3,197 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Viv heat without Heat source

Has anyone measured they viv/housing of there ball python before the heat source was added.

We initially set up our snakes home in our front room (coldest room in the house) our heat source hasnt arrived yet (dont worry, no snake until Saturday) at the minute it sits at warm side 55f and cool side 55f (obviously no difference) humidity 64%. Im just curious, If the heat pad cannot raise the warm side to 85-90f then we will have to change the room of living. So do you think the heat mat can raise it that much?

Also, with the Snake and Water+heat the humidity is bound to raise. Maybe too much?
    YOU HAVENT GOT A PYTHON THEY GET LIKE 50FT!!

Thanks
    The humidity might raise a little bit, because some heat sources can dry out the air, such as the red heat lamp that I use (you should actually try one of those instead). As for the humidity, keep the water bowl away from the heat source so that the water doesn't evaporate so much if the case is that the humidity raises.

Thanks
    In a room that cold, a UTH will not raise the tank heat nearly enough. You will Likely need to add a CHE, probably a 100w, and you also VERY LIKELY need to raise the room temperature at least to 65 degrees.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Re: Viv heat without Heat source

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    In a room that cold, a UTH will not raise the tank heat nearly enough. You will Likely need to add a CHE, probably a 100w, and you also VERY LIKELY need to raise the room temperature at least to 65 degrees.
    See this is my concern. I will have to see what temp we can get it to over the next 2 days then look at switching. We do have plans for a CHE when we move it from faunarium into Vivarium in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    If you can't get the cool side to the mid 70's and the warm side to the high 80's, and maintain them, it's not safe for a ball python.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Heat the room or add overhead heating.
    As already said, UTH is for a hot spot only.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    We also have a very cold house. I use UTH's under the hides - it does get that space warmer with bedding. I use fluffy Carefresh paper bedding inside and around the warm hide. Also, a Reptile Basics small 28 watt RHP (this is a 10 gal glass tank). Foil is on the top and under the tank, and the walls of two are also wrapped.

No central heat here. If I want warmth, I have to chop wood, and keep the stove fed. PITA - and I'm usually too lazy to bother until things get below 50F. You can adequately heat a small box in a cold room, but you have to insulate it, and keep an eye on those temps.

Thanks
    exactly.

At the minute, mistakenly we bought a faunarium (is that right?) through pet shops (money grabbing) advice.

Its small, 13 inch by 7 inch. Snake is only 12 inch. Anyway, we are learning and I wouldnt put the snake in without the temps being right. So, if the heatmat doesnt heat it properly, we will move it into the bedroom where room temp is around 20c (68f). However, Our 3ft viv arrives tomorrow. We can use Over head heating for this. So we will be ok either way. Just trying to do this right.