Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

0 members and 3,315 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Doggy Bag WOW!!

Thanks

Doggy Bag WOW!!

Hey All. last week Tuesday my special order of mazuri 6f rodent diet came in at Tractory Supply. I went in and while i was waiting for them to grab my order i saw the bags of Doggy Bag dog food that people mentioned on this forum. I saw it was for $13 so i said what the heck and bought it. I figured if they didnt like it i wasn't losing much and if they did i can save a bit of money by giving 50% mazuri and 50% doggy bag. Well after a week the unexpected happened!! I have a mortar tub rack and so i filled the hopper on oneside with doggy bag and the other with mazuri. I found that they have not touched the mazuri and have been only eating the Doggy Bag!! Looks like i am going to be saving much more than i thought. Anyone else seeing this?
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I just got a bag myself and started offering it. I think they like it better too, but it also seems a bit more crumbly and so easier to eat through the wire.

I'll be watching to see results.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Re: Doggy Bag WOW!!

Hmmm...you may be right...I haven't tested how easily it can be crushed but it definitely isn't as dense. Ease of eating may be it. Well either way, if they stay healthy im happy to save the $$
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I have mixed rat reviews.... some like it and other tubs wont touch it.
    There is a lot that goes to waste on the bottom of the tub too.

Thanks

Funny thing I learned about rats recently is they tend to be cautious of new food sources until one of the members of their colony try it. When they smell it on the breath of another, they deem it safe and go for it. Its an evolutionary defense to use each other as test subjects so they don't all go get poisoned at once. Could be why some trays are eating it so well while others aren't so keen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Polyangler View Post
    Funny thing I learned about rats recently is they tend to be cautious of new food sources until one of the members of their colony try it. When they smell it on the breath of another, they deem it safe and go for it. Its an evolutionary defense to use each other as test subjects so they don't all go get poisoned at once. Could be why some trays are eating it so well while others aren't so keen.
    Hmmm...my rats must have lost this instinct lol...They pounce on just about anything i drop in the bins lol. I was just surprised how they completely switched over to the doggy bag without any persuasion.

Albert Einstein

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    I have mixed rat reviews.... some like it and other tubs wont touch it.
    There is a lot that goes to waste on the bottom of the tub too.
    I just did a cleanout and the only waste on the tub floor was of the fecal kind like normal. My colonies must just really love this stuff. I have all 4 colonies on my rack eating this almost exclusively.

Albert Einstein

Thanks

i myself run doggy bag. they seem to eat them about the same. only im running mazuri 9f not 6f. But the fact I can save over 10 dollars for the same amount of food is great.