Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

2 members and 3,275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: how has the price of morphs changed over the years?

don't laugh too much your great grandkids might be buying snows there! lol

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

One of the other reasons that price of albino burms dropped down very quickly is the clutch size (number of eggs). A burm has a clutch around...3 times, I think? the size of a bp clutch. Something like 18 to 23 burm eggs to like 4-6 bp eggs or so. Those numbers aren't exact, but that's what I remember from a discussion on this a while back.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schlyne
    One of the other reasons that price of albino burms dropped down very quickly is the clutch size (number of eggs). A burm has a clutch around...3 times, I think? the size of a bp clutch. Something like 18 to 23 burm eggs to like 4-6 bp eggs or so. Those numbers aren't exact, but that's what I remember from a discussion on this a while back.
    We've had big female Burms throw 75+ eggs in a clutch. That's a LOT of albinos!

K~
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KLG

K~

Screw the woma x IJ stuff ... breed THOSE genetics into a ball python, lets get crackin guys!!!

Did she look like a big deflated waterbed after? :p

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KLG

K~
    Holy Moly! I wonder if we can market burm eggs to replace chicken eggs for your morning omelet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    With all of the pastels that are on the market, for prices to still be that strong after 7 years and pastels being a co-dominant morph, you're darn tootin that I don't think it's drastic.

There are far more people that will be willing to purchase a beautiful yellow and black snake that gets 4 ft and eats small rats than a 12ft behemoth that you have to feed rabbits. They will hopefully be as common, but certainly not as cheap. The demand for ball pythons is strong!! Once the $1,000 market is exhausted, pastels will settle in around the $500 price range and then the buying frenzy will begin!! All good stuff for people producing pastels!

-adam
    If they lost as much as $5000 off their value in the last 7 years -
    Where do you see Pastels in the next 7 years?

Adam, add me to be the first inline to purchase Pastels for $200 on your list -
    When the prices start dropping.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    If they lost as much as $5000 off their value in the last 7 years -
    Where do you see Pastels in the next 7 years?
    Don't think of the price drop as linear. As the price lowers it becomes more and more stable because the market opens wider. So the lower it goes the longer it takes to drop again. It could be another 5 years to get below $500 ... then there's also the combo factor .... hypo males use to be around $700 and now they are at least $1,000 and hard to come by because of the hypo combos ... this year we could see pastel pieds, pastel caramels, and pastel genetic stripes which could hold the price at current levels for another 18 months or so.

From this price point on, every dollar lower will be a battle. The drop from the higher prices is easier to explain because there is a lot fewer buyers at $1,500 - $2,000 and up than there are at the $1,000 price point. Lots and lots of people are buying pastels and will buy them again this year ... the market is getting stronger!

Ball python morphs are a fantastic investment at any price point. The only thing lowering prices does is make them EASIER to sell, and that's a good thing!!

Adam, add me to be the first inline to purchase Pastels for $200 on your list -
    When the prices start dropping.
    I will never sell pastels for $200 ... this year or next is probably my last year producing them in any real quantity ... gotta get out of the way so that my customers can breed their pastels and make some money too!!!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think that is part of the reason why morphs will have a bottom. At some point they become so cheap that some breeders will stop breeding them and fewer will start. The normals aren't as cheap as they are because people are willing to breed them for that, it's because Africans are willing to dig eggs up for that.

Think of all the pastels he sold in 7 years to make up for that $5,000 drop. I bet it’s way more than $5,000 worth. A good rule of thumb for considering it you should buy this year or next (assuming you have the funds to even make the option) would be if the extra year's production should pay for the expected decrease in price by waiting a year. With co-dominant males it's hard to imagine it not working out if you have the big normal females ready to go.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234