Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,609

2 members and 2,607 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Heat Tape?

Thanks

Heat Tape?

My local reptile expo is coming up and I'm planning on picking up a few snakes. I decided to expand my horizons a little and buy a gtp. I have had experience with other snakes before (boas, carpet pythons, blood pythons etc.) I've done a lot of research concerning how to provide a temp gradient for the gtp enclosure but I don't have enough room for a CHE. I know the gtp would get little to no use out of a UTH. So would mounting heat tape on the back of the enclosure work as sort of a basking area? I was also planning on using the UTH along with the tape to help create humidity. I have a glass enclosure that has a hinge door on the front with a glass lid on top to help keep humidity. The temp in the room I plan on keeping him/her in are around 72°F. Any information is appreciated! Thank you for your time

Thanks
    Uth provide contact only heat to the area they are attached to, they cannot replace or substitute what a che or heat light can accomplish in the heating department

Thanks

Re: Heat Tape?

I assume the same goes for the heat tape then?

Thanks
    In tub setups breeders use 11" heat tape that runs down the entire back of the rack. However, for a single enclosure a radiant heat panel is going to be your best bet. I would simply get a piece of melamine board cut to the size of the top of your cage, and install the RHP onto that. Pro Products and RBI have some small RHPs that work wonders.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,578 Times in 2,988 Posts

Re: Heat Tape?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    In tub setups breeders use 11" heat tape that runs down the entire back of the rack. However, for a single enclosure a radiant heat panel is going to be your best bet. I would simply get a piece of melamine board cut to the size of the top of your cage, and install the RHP onto that. Pro Products and RBI have some small RHPs that work wonders.
    I agree.

If this is not something you can do, I would pass on the GTP until you can get a solid setup for it.

I think Josh seems to have a good idea as to how you could make a RHP work so it may be worth going over BEFORE you have a new acquisition to deal with.

There are also very reasonably priced arboreal cages out there.