Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,381

4 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question Switching from aspen to newspaper

Hello new bp owner here I have a three year old male in a 20 long + UTH and I'm beginning to realize aspen is not the easiest when it comes to spot cleaning and I feel that newspaper will help give my buddy a cleaner home. That being said I was wondering about any difficulties you guys have had with newspaper as substrate like it ripping and balling up in the pee spots as your snake moves over it or anything like that? Just want to be ready for problems this may cause if any at all but so far I've seen people on here have good results

Thanks

Re: Switching from aspen to newspaper

I like Dri-Dek with newspaper underneath. This way the poopy/pee drains and your snakey won't be making feces art Can make UTH a little more challenging though so use a temp gun to measure temps if you're going to use it.

I don't use newspaper by itself personally, but it's quite a popular substrate!
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

3. The Following User Says Thank You to O'Mathghamhna For This Useful Post:

Katiecat124 (01-28-2016)

Thanks
    I use paper towls, so I think you'll find similiar issues with newspaper... some times the snake can tear it, or get under it, or bunch it up in one spot. I check my tubs at least once a day, if not 2 or 3 times, so I don't see it as a big deal. if things are bunched up or moved around, sometimes I leave it, sometimes I fix it. One thing is certain, it's super easy to see when they've made a mess, and it's super easy to clean.

I thought about switching to aspen, but I keep thinking, how on earth would I be able to tell when and where my snake pees, and get it cleaned up? With paper, it's easy to tell.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    I use paper towls, so I think you'll find similiar issues with newspaper... some times the snake can tear it, or get under it, or bunch it up in one spot. I check my tubs at least once a day, if not 2 or 3 times, so I don't see it as a big deal. if things are bunched up or moved around, sometimes I leave it, sometimes I fix it. One thing is certain, it's super easy to see when they've made a mess, and it's super easy to clean.

I thought about switching to aspen, but I keep thinking, how on earth would I be able to tell when and where my snake pees, and get it cleaned up? With paper, it's easy to tell.
    and that is entirely my problem I KNOW theres pee in there i just never see it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I did use newspaper for a while, but found that the newsprint kept rubbing off on the snake's belly. I switched over to indented kraft paper, and haven't looked back since.

For me the newsprint rubbing off was the only real drawback.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

BPnet Senior Member MidSouthMorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 833 Posts
    I have been considering this for a while as well. Mine love to bunch up the bedding near the water bowls and spill it in and it makes for some nasty looking water overnight.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

i've been keeping any new snakes i receive on paper towel to monitor for mites and at least until their first poop. i'll use paper towel or newspaper when i get to breeding but will stick with aspen for everyday keep.

the type of substrate u use is all personal preference. use what's best for your snake's husbandry and budget.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Katiecat124 View Post
    and that is entirely my problem I KNOW theres pee in there i just never see it.
    if you check in on your snakes enough, you will notice wetness. there will also probably be urates and of course it smells like pee, even when dry.

for me, wood substrate soaks up pee alot better than paper. when my new snakes on paper towel pee, the wet spot eventually spreads across the whole floor. it remains wet and the the odor is noticeably stronger until i can clean up the mess.
    Last edited by Ax01; 01-28-2016 at 06:02 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292