Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

0 members and 3,213 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Stressed corn

Thanks

Stressed corn

Here I am again asking for advice, but what can you do. There is a kitchen renovation in the apartment above mine, and obviously they make a lot of noise. They also use these heavy drills for the brick walls that seem to shake my entire apartment. My corn seems to also feel the vibrations and has been really stressed lately. He has a glass terrarium, that is on top of a dresser and the terrarium has these little nubs at the bottom because of his heating mat, but they don't help. Is there any way I could make the drilling and hammering less stressing for him? Could it help if I put something soft under his tank? Poor thing is being awoken from sleep all the time because of the noise.

Also there is no way to keep him elsewhere during this, because my family and friends are too scared of him. I asked my neighbor and the renovation shouldn't last more than a few weeks at best. He has still been eating fine, but is visibly a lot more alert, restless and jumpy.

I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nathalie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Yes, I'd for sure try to put his tank on something much softer- but you'll have to leave room for the heat matt, obviously.

The easiest thing I can think of is to use hi-density foam weatherstripping on all the bottom edges of his tank- but leave a small gap for the UTH cord. Hardware stores sell it- it's sold in a flat roll, typically, & won't break the bank. I use it on the bottom edges of all my tanks anyway, because it keeps them from sliding off cabinets. (I used to live in the land of big earthquakes, Southern California, & it really saved my tanks, not to mention my snakes, but I still like using it so that no tank is sitting on a cord- that wears them out.)

Anyway, it comes in different sizes & is peel & stick- EASY!

Like this > > > https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...734H/100047977

Poor little corn snake...you too! All that vibration!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-28-2023),Nathalie (12-28-2023)