Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,086

4 members and 3,082 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

hide temperatures

In reviewing my temps, the warm hide is 90-91 degrees. He's been in there since an hour after I got him. I will be adding damp moss to that hide tonight (assuming they aren't out at the store)> I will probably but some in a bowl towards the front near under the lamp, and then line the tank a little. This takes care of the warmth and humidity I hope.

Now....the cool side is between 78-80 degrees with the light almost fully on. Definitely 80 when fully on but dries out quicker.

My question is....if the ambient temp is 78-80 outside the cool hide, is it safe to assume that the cool hide is probably a degree or so warmer since it is more enclosed, and black so absorbs heat. I am using reptile basics hides.

Thanks

Re: hide temperatures

I don't have the black plastic hides (I use the exo-terra fake rock hides), but the cool hide is usually cooler on the interior than on top of the hide. I have a nighttime blue bulb directly over it (I run it on a dimmer to control the hides temp). It's usually 84-85 on the top surface of the hide and 81.5-83 on the inside, depending on how warm the ambient is.

I have an ambient thermometer hanging half way between the CHE and the nighttime bulb, so it is not getting direct heat from either. For humidity, you could cover the top of the tank with a warm damp towel then put foil over the towel. This is how I keep the humidity up. I only offer a moist hide when he's going into shed.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    The warm hide is fine. Cool hide is fine too as long as the snake has access to heat which it does. How are you reading the temps? Dial and temp strips are notorious for being off by a lot sometimes. For humidity, i'm gonna guess you are using a glass tank? If so cover up 3/4 of the tank or more and see if that helps with humidity. I would avoid putting anything wet on the screen top though as that will cause the screen to rust. I sometimes put a wet paper towel on top of the warm hide for my gal when I need more humidity and just moisten it in the mornings and evenings and it keeps her cage around 60-70% if I do it both times.

Also by covering the top 3/4 or more of the cage, your ambient temps will go up a few degrees which would hit that nice low to mid 80s.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 01-24-2016 at 07:28 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Re: hide temperatures

My setup is practically identical to the 20 gallon setup sticky thread. I have an Acu-Rite in there, plus a small digital thermometer with the probe about a half inch or so above the substrate along the tank wall. I have the foil on top. Tonight I added a layer of damp moss around the water bowl, center tank and in the warm hide. Temps have been holding good and humidity has stayed at 60% for several hours now. He actually came out of his hide and has been active for about an hour or so now.