Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,418

1 members and 3,417 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Question Baby BP - Tub Size Question

Hey guys, so it has been way too long since my last purchase, and I'm looking to change that very soon. My problem is that my caging option here with me is just my AP rack, that has tubs that I use for juvenile sized boas. I can fit a smaller tub in the rack, so my question is how big is too big? I know you're not supposed to keep young animals in too big of cages, will this be a problem? and if so will crowding the tub with hides, bowls, etc be enough to solve that problem?
    WVU

1.1 Red Tail Boas (Dennis & Penny)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Sometimes a picky eater won't feel secure in a large enclosure and will go off food. I've heard a lot of theses stories, and we'll no doubt hear some more on this thread. In my personal experience, I've always moved juveniles right into Iris 32 qt tubs in an RBI rack. I use appropriate size hides and keep the rack in a quiet area of the house. Never had a problem.

I like to keep in mind that Africa is much larger than a shoebox, and they seem to get along just fine in the wild.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    I have a 9 month old ball python in a 6 foot cage with no issue. She ate the day after moving in there and has loved it ever since.
    Not to offend anyone but I think the stress factor is exaggerated to make people feel better about keeping snakes in tiny tubs

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    just get a 6quart latch box the king with the locking top. the tub may not fit in your rack height wise, so the latch/locking top should take care of that. (don't forget to poke air holes.) it would be just enough space for a hide and waterbowl. my hatchlings have thrived in this set-up.

if u are looking to go bigger, get something like a 15quart. That would be enough room for 2 hides, waterbowl, and a fake plant of something for a little clutter.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 9,866 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Yes, you can keep a baby in a large tub like a 34 or even 41-qt as long as it has plenty of hiding places on both the warm and cool sides and the tub is cluttered up with stuff to take up any open space.

Thanks

Re: Baby BP - Tub Size Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    just get a 6quart latch box the king with the locking top. the tub may not fit in your rack height wise, so the latch/locking top should take care of that. (don't forget to poke air holes.) it would be just enough space for a hide and waterbowl. my hatchlings have thrived in this set-up.

if u are looking to go bigger, get something like a 15quart. That would be enough room for 2 hides, waterbowl, and a fake plant of something for a little clutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Yes, you can keep a baby in a large tub like a 34 or even 41-qt as long as it has plenty of hiding places on both the warm and cool sides and the tub is cluttered up with stuff to take up any open space.
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice guys
    WVU

1.1 Red Tail Boas (Dennis & Penny)