Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,417

3 members and 3,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Ball python collection planning help needed

Hi guys and gals,

I am fairly new to the reptile keeping scene but have done about 2 years worth of research already. I live in South Africa so new genes are very expensive to import but most of the base morphs are easy to acquire.

Basically need some advice on planning for the future to get best collection possible. My main idea is to have Pieds with various added genes.
    I would like to keep the collection fairly small with about 10 to 15 adults and then about the same number of babies/sub-adults.

My current collection consist of a male and female Het pied pair and a Het red axanthic female (received as a gift).

Would love to pair the Het Red Axanthic with a banana in the future to get a really purplish snake.

What other genes are worthwhile to put into Pieds ( I have gone through the WOBP and google images ) ?
    So far Yellowbelly, Orange dream, Enchi, Fire and Banana are the standouts for me. Ultimate dream would be double recessive - Ultramel pied or a Axanthic pied.

Spieds ( Spider pieds) and the other pieds with just a head color would be more difficult to sell I would presume?

My plan in my head so far is to get at least 3 Pied females up to breeding age and then start producing Het's to breed back to them or buying Het pied males (if I can find any).

Thanks

Re: Ball python collection planning help needed

Hi!

Sounds like you have some good ideas. I'm working on pied projects myself And have planned out super pastel pieds, banana pied, enchi pieds, fire pieds and my long term goal is some double recessive albino pieds. Really it's up to you, what you prefer to see when you open your tubs everyday. From the ideas you gave, I say you are on the right track!

As far as spieds go, I don't particularly like them, but that's just me. Some people prefer high white pieds, some prefer low white. I'm actually right in the middle, I prefer a nice even distribution of color and white. So when it comes to selling them, it's really down to how big the market in your area is for spieds, how well you market your snakes and if you like spieds yourself, because you may end up keeping some long term before they sell.

Good luck with everything!
    Bellissimo Ball Pythons

0.1 Normal
    0.1 Pastel Piebald
    0.1 SuperFly
    0.1 GHI
    0.1 Albino
    1.0 Albino Stinger
    1.0 Banana Spider
    1.0 Pastel Savannah
    1.0 Pastel 66% Het Pied

More coming soon...I'm sure.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    ^agree. I'm not a fan of the high whites because after a certain % of white snake I'd rather just have a BEL or super fire. I like the mid whites most. I'm hoping for some banana pieds next year if my female is up to size later thos year so that's my current favorite piebald combo.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Ball python collection planning help needed

Don't forget Hypo or Orange Ghost. I love what Hypo does with a Pied and it gives you a chance to mess with double recessive as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i just used one of the genetics calculator to calculate what a HRA x Banana would produce and look like. it just came back with HRA Banana, no morph name. so it might not exist yet, so not sure if it would be purple.

but if u want purple snakes from base morphs u can get a simple Mojave and mix in Phantom for Purple Passions. also mix Mystic into the Mojave and u get Mystic Potions. all have varying degrees of purple and patterns.

also i u are looking at double recessives - how about making an VPI Lavendar Snow? (VPI Axanthic Lavendar Albino) i bet those would look great!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292