Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

1 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Constantly active

Hello, I have an approximately 6 year old female ball, lately she has been constantly cruising her cage during the day looking for a way out.
    The only thing that has changed about her environment is we moved into a new house in December. Her cage and setup is exactly the same though.

I have 2 uth connected to thermostats. Warm side is set to 92 which makes it 91 to 90 on top of substrate (ive always used paper towel) and another on the cool end set to 82, and a ceramic heat lamp on top to keep ambient temps around 80.
    There is 2 identical hides that is a plastic bowl upside down with a hole cut into it and a large water bowl in the middle. I try to keep the humidity around 50 percent.

I have checked the temps with a heatgun to make sure they are accurate.

She hasn't eaten since November but this has been normal for her since she was about 2. She usually doesnt eat from nov to about march, but doesn't lose weight etc.

Im at my wits end as to why shes so stressed out. Ive tried filling her tank with loosely crumpled newspaper last night as a read it can help calm a stressed snake they feel more enclosed, but today when i checked shes still cruising.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated im so worried shes going to wear herself ragged.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Constantly active

She might be looking for a boyfriend! No, seriously has she ever been bred? It seems like your husbandry is fine. What is the humidity percentage? Are there any signs of illness would be the other possibility? Noisy breathing, increased secretions coming from the mouth and or nose, any injuries. Ruling those out, a pacing reptile is a hungry reptile until proven otherwise. Keep us posted. Good luck. Oh, I see your humidity percent. Thanks.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 01-20-2016 at 11:35 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (01-20-2016),AllThatInThemGenes (01-20-2016),Faydraferrell (01-20-2016)

Thanks

I have offered her a ft rat every 2 weeks and she has refused since mid November. But she has been this was every winter since i got her she was 2 when i gpt her ive had her 4 years now. Never been bred and shes my only snake. Before we moved she was normal in she hid pretty much all the time except an occasional cruise around at night. I am thinking of switching from a tank to a tub as a last effort.

No signs of sickness, no wheezing etc. She seems healthy other than the constant roaming. Oh and she is still drinking and peeing etc and she shed about 3 weeks ago with no problems
    Last edited by Faydraferrell; 01-20-2016 at 11:50 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Faydraferrell For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-20-2016)

Thanks

Being in a new home even though her enclosure is the same could be a possible contributing factor to the cruising behavior. Ball pythons are sensitive to barometric pressures in the enviornment, changes in positioning of their enclosures. I think the behavior is harmless but if it's troubling then you should make the necessary planned adjustments. Slow the offering of food to 3 weeks. Stay on the lookout for illnesses and consider getting her a boyfriend. LoL.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Reinz (01-20-2016)

Thanks

Ive just always heard a hiding ball is a happy ball. I will slow down the food offerings as per your suggestion. I just worry she is majorly stressed as shes cruising sometimes for hours at a time during the day. Im going to get a sterilite tub tonight and try to switch her to that as ive read tubs are actually better than tanks, even though shes been perfectly fine in the tank for 4 years, im willing to do whatever i must to make her a happy snake, except im not getting her a bf sorry for her shes going to have to be a spinster snake

Thanks
    Theres nothing wrong with a tank, only reason tubs are better is beacuse its vastly easier to maintain heat and humidity, as long as you can maintain all that in the glass tank they are perfectly acceptable housing

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M.P.C For This Useful Post:

Faydraferrell (01-20-2016),Reinz (01-20-2016)

Thanks

So am i just being paranoid? We have been in our new house now for about a month, i hope she settles down soon. Im pretty sure my husbandry is good as i have thermostats and a hygrometer and i double check the temps with a heat gun.

Thanks

Not paranoid, just a responsible concerned keeper. The desire to breed is a very strong instinct in ball pythons as well. Just keep that in mind as you rule out all the possibilities for her behavior. Because there are chemical, hormonal changes during these periods.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 01-20-2016 at 12:59 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Faydraferrell (01-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Your gal is doing the same thing as my gal is now. She quit eating around Nov as well and comes out at night as the terror and destroys her cage. I take her out and give her outside time and she just cruises nonstop. Tried food every 2 weeks as well and nothing. Good thing I got 2 garbage disposal boas who eat her rat. I wouldn't worry unless she starts losing weight or you see something seriously going south like stargazing, bubbles/mucous from the mouth/nose, wheezing, stuff like that. I chalk it up to "wanting a boyfriend" like Albert said.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    Can you put a towel over most of the tank and see if that calms her down and helps her feel secure?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Faydraferrell (01-21-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast