Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

2 members and 3,311 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Not sure if my eggs are going to make it...

I got my first clutch of 5 eggs and they are looking pretty terrible already idk if they are going to make it. This clutch was unexpected, i bought the female and she must have already been gravid but i didnt know it, i had my kids for a weekend and hadnt checked on her for a few days and when i did there was 5 eggs in her tub. I didnt have an incubator because i wasnt expecting any eggs so i decided to let her incubate them for a few days but after about a day and a half she was just sitting beside them not on top of them and it got kind of cold at night (maybe 69-70) but on what i think was the 3rd day (not sure exactly which day she laid cuz i hadnt checked in a few days) i went to a reptile expo and bought a zoomed reptibator and put the eggs in a tub and into the incubator. I didnt see ANY condensation on the lid so i thought it would be ok to leave the lid off the tub they are in and idk if it was just the humidity or if condensation dripped on them but they got a little wet and after that i noticed white hairlike mold on them so i wiped them off with a dry towel but now it is only day 11 or 12 and they are really shriveling up and dont look very healthy at all. I cant seem to find a flashlight around the house so i tried candling them with the flashlight on my phone and i do see veins in a few of them but doesnt look like very many, and a few of them my phones light just isnt bright enough and it just looks dark cant see anything. Is there anything i can do at this point or do they look like they might be goners already? Heres a pic.

Oh and since theyve been in the incubator they have been at a constant 90 degrees and 71-74% humidity

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BDog21 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-19-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Not sure if my eggs are going to make it...

Wow! Well you are doing the best you can. First, two things. Put the lid back on the tub and double check the temp setting on the reptibator. Probably would be good to set it at 93.0f - 94.0f to get a internal tub temp of 88.0f - 89.0f. You will need to grab a little bag of either perlite or vermiculite from Lowes or Home Depot. Brush a little anti fungal powder on the moldy areas of the eggs sparingly. Not too much. You will need a digital thermometer with a probe to go inside the egg tub. Use the anti fungal powder on the eggs prior to putting the vermiculite in the tub. Be careful not to get the eggs any more damp. The vermiculite needs to be mixed with small amount of water to a clumping consistency but not to the point where any water can be expressed when squeezed. Try to place the vermiculite carefully around the outer perimeter of the eggs. The vermiculite will help raise the humidity.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 01-19-2016 at 05:05 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

BDog21 (01-20-2016),KingReptiles (01-19-2016),Megg (01-19-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (01-19-2016)

Thanks

Do you have any suggestions of a certain brand of anti fungal powder or where to get it? I pulled them out and cleaned the tub out with zoomed wipe out that i use to clean the tubs in my rack but i think thats just an antibacterial not antifungal...and either way its liquid so i cant really use it directly on the eggs anyway

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BDog21 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-19-2016)

Thanks

Moving the eggs too much is detrimental to them. Now that they are set. Please don't pick them up any more or change their orientation. That is crucial. Any commercial anti fungal powder is adequate. Just sprinkle very little where you can visibly see the mold and not to excess. Absolutely don't move the eggs any more. You have to be cognizant of the temps and humidity at all times and don't have the tub open for too long. The egg in the middle looks suspicious for not being healthy but all the others look like they have a shot. But you have to act quickly and the main thing is the temp and humidity.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

BDog21 (01-20-2016),Megg (01-19-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My guess one is salvageable maybe two, one is a definite gonner IMO and the 2 others will likely follow.

Eggs tend to be quite resilient but eggs getting too wet because of condensation dripping down or because of substrate to wet is hard to correct at such an advance stage sorry.

All you can do is try and hope for the best.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BDog21 (01-20-2016),eveningdahlia (01-19-2016)

Thanks

How are you making out with your progress? Can you post updated pics of the eggs?

Thanks

Any pics of the eggs now?

Thanks

Ill post a new pic when i get home from work i took a quick peak at them before work and i think they are looking a little worse :-/

Thanks

Im thinking there will only MAYBE be that one egg thats still white that survives

Thanks
    Aww I'm so sorry! Don't give up on the one... It could be the snake that lived! If it does can we name it Harry? Please??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast