Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

1 members and 3,160 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: humid hide?

Thanks

humid hide?

so in an effort to get my humidity up I've read a couple of threads on here talking about humid hides. I just picked up some Sphagnum moss from Home Depot the other day but was wondering if I should put it in the corner of both hides or just one. and if just one, would it be on the cool side or hot side? these are probably dumb questions but I just wanted to make sure I do everything right for my first bp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: humid hide?

Quote Originally Posted by hberry221b View Post
    so in an effort to get my humidity up I've read a couple of threads on here talking about humid hides. I just picked up some Sphagnum moss from Home Depot the other day but was wondering if I should put it in the corner of both hides or just one. and if just one, would it be on the cool side or hot side? these are probably dumb questions but I just wanted to make sure I do everything right for my first bp.
    Not dumb questions at all. I put it in the warm hide, but others my differ. I also leave a large lump of it somewhere in the enclosure and spritz that as needed to keep the humidity up.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AKA Dave For This Useful Post:

hberry221b (01-19-2016)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

I usually just give them an extra hide and put some damp moss or coco husk in it so they can get some extra humidity if they want it then go back to there cool/warm hides if they want. They take advantage of the humid hide as they need it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexisFitzy For This Useful Post:

hberry221b (01-19-2016)

Thanks

thanks to both of you! I'll try to put some in the warm hide and leave it damp when he's in shed and let it dry out when he's not, as per the instructions I've seen on some threads.

Thanks

On your post you said that you would let your moisture moss dry out It would benefit your Ball Python to have the right humidity all the time, were they are from In the wild is high humidity and it really makes a difference . I use coco husk as my Substrate and Spray it daily to keep thst humidity up when I was using Aspen I had a heck of a time keeping the Humidity in the correct zone.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Last edited by Lady mkrj58; 01-19-2016 at 04:36 PM.
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady mkrj58 View Post
    On your post you said that you would let your moisture moss dry out It would benefit your Ball Python to have the right humidity all the time, were they are from In the wild is high humidity and it really makes a difference . I use coco husk as my Substrate and Spray it daily to keep thst humidity up when I was using Aspen I had a heck of a time keeping the Humidity in the correct zone.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    what I meant was that when he's not shedding I'd let it dry out before rewetting it vs keeping it constantly moist while he's in shed. I'm kind of afraid of mold developing if I keep the humidity too high, not quite sure when to change out the substrate, I'm thinking every month, although I'm not sure how long I can safely wait until I need to change out the cypress mulch.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hberry221b For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (01-20-2016)

Thanks

Most people change it about once every 2 months or so. Some more than others.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to That_One_New_Guy For This Useful Post:

hberry221b (01-20-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hberry221b View Post
    what I meant was that when he's not shedding I'd let it dry out before rewetting it vs keeping it constantly moist while he's in shed. I'm kind of afraid of mold developing if I keep the humidity too high, not quite sure when to change out the substrate, I'm thinking every month, although I'm not sure how long I can safely wait until I need to change out the cypress mulch.

Gotcha...........

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58