Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

3 members and 3,362 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

My new DIY snake rack

So, after looking at a bunch of racks, I thought to myself..."I can probably build one of those...". I looked and studied and contemplated for a couple of weeks and came up with a plan. I was able to order a sheet of 11mm foamed PVC through a local sign company, so that helped a bunch. I was going to take step by step photos, but once I got into it, I kinda forgot.

It's a simple rack, really. I only have one bp now, a small one, so I didn't need much, but I'm shopping for #2. I'll be keeping my old little enclosure for a quarantine. This rack will hold 2 - 15qt tubs per shelf, or one 34qt tub. These are just Rubbermaid tubs from Walmart. For heat, I am using pre-wired 4" flexwatt from Reptile Basics. Dimensions are 28"x28"x17 1/2". the dividers are removable so that I can move tubs around as I see fit. They're just placed in there for this photo. Feel free to ask questions. My total investment is right around $150 and about 3 hours of time. I'm pleased.

0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

Kimchi~ (01-16-2016)

Thanks

Re: My new DIY snake rack

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    So, after looking at a bunch of racks, I thought to myself..."I can probably build one of those...". I looked and studied and contemplated for a couple of weeks and came up with a plan. I was able to order a sheet of 11mm foamed PVC through a local sign company, so that helped a bunch. I was going to take step by step photos, but once I got into it, I kinda forgot.

It's a simple rack, really. I only have one bp now, a small one, so I didn't need much, but I'm shopping for #2. I'll be keeping my old little enclosure for a quarantine. This rack will hold 2 - 15qt tubs per shelf, or one 34qt tub. These are just Rubbermaid tubs from Walmart. For heat, I am using pre-wired 4" flexwatt from Reptile Basics. Dimensions are 28"x28"x17 1/2". the dividers are removable so that I can move tubs around as I see fit. They're just placed in there for this photo. Feel free to ask questions. My total investment is right around $150 and about 3 hours of time. I'm pleased.

That looks great! Not bad for $150. Are you housing ball pythons?

And a side question here, if you're housing balls are you going to use the 34qts for the adults? Is that a bit small or are those tubs perfectly fine for adults?

Thanks
    Yes, I'll be housing ball pythons in here. I too first thought the 34qt was a bit small, but the more I read, the more I find that adult males do okay in a tub this size. Females do better in the next size up (41qt) as they get a little larger and can use the extra leg room. My bp is still pretty small, and if I get others, I will likely be getting hatchlings, so this setup should work for me for a year or two.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Very nice!!! 34 quarts will be fine until your females get big. 2000g+ some breeders only use 34q. Nice build!!

Thanks

Very cool!! I love seeing peoples diy racks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Red Axanthic - Damon
    0.1 Pastel Het Red Axanthic - Katerina
    0.1 Fire
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser