Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,260

4 members and 3,256 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: One and a half year old snake, 50 grams?

I live in Connecticut.
    Last edited by Pippers; 01-19-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pandorica View Post
    I don't have a scale so I couldn't weigh my Pandora, but PetSmart was only feeding her one medium mouse per week, every week, for over a year. While she looked healthy and alert when I brought her home, she was definitely way too small for a BP that was over a year old. It took her awhile to acclimate. I'd feed her a mouse when she'd show interest, and a second one if I could get her to take it. Then when she got to eating regularly, the mice got bigger. Three weeks ago I got her to accept a small rat, and then again last week, and she finally blessed me with a turd that didn't look like it came out of a pigeon. She just ate her third small rat in as many weeks about half an hour ago, and I will try one more of that size next week before getting her up to medium rats.

I'm not really set up to measure length & weight on my snakes but I can see she's finally getting some girth to her. And tonight she gave me that "gimme another piece of food" behavior 15 minutes after swallowing the small rat (I won't give her multiple rats... I'll just start working her up to bigger rats).

I think these big box stores intentionally underfeed their pythons... just enough to keep them looking healthy, not enough to let them grow naturally or poop like they should.
    It's funny you say that, the first time Pip pooped something other than a white mess was about a week ago. It was actually a normal, brown poop. I'm sure we were equally surprised lol.

But yes I also agree that petstores have a master plan, however I feel like that would hurt their chances of selling because as soon as someone walks into the store and sees these tiny ball pythons they're going to wonder. I'm sure they encounter plenty of ingorant people though. (like me)

Thanks

Get some baby rats for her, then just keep feeding her those until like 100 g then try a small sized mouse. WOuld u b willing to give her up
    Last edited by ReptiMoto; 01-20-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Np

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by New2Dis View Post
    WOuld u b willing to give her up
    No, but thank you.

Thanks
    Sounds like the brown poop is a good thing... I know it's only been about a week since you first posted on this thread, but have you noticed any changes in the snake at all? have you been able to weigh him to see if there are any changes yet?
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    Sounds like the brown poop is a good thing... I know it's only been about a week since you first posted on this thread, but have you noticed any changes in the snake at all? have you been able to weigh him to see if there are any changes yet?
    He spends alot more time under his hide (on the heating pad) since I was able to stabilize it at around 90 degrees. Other than that, not much change yet. I'm going to be weighing him every feeding. Thanks for asking!

Registered User footballpythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    feed him more size mice or rats

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pippers View Post
    It's funny you say that, the first time Pip pooped something other than a white mess was about a week ago. It was actually a normal, brown poop. I'm sure we were equally surprised lol.

But yes I also agree that petstores have a master plan, however I feel like that would hurt their chances of selling because as soon as someone walks into the store and sees these tiny ball pythons they're going to wonder. I'm sure they encounter plenty of ingorant people though. (like me)
    Brown poop is good. It means he ate something of substance and there was enough of it for there to be waste.

White poop is usually just urates. If your snake is never defecating real poop (the brown stuff) it means he's not eating enough (or he's sick, but I think your vet ruled out parasites, etc).

You keep feeding him hoppers regularly, he'll be ready to move up to adult mice in a few weeks.
    Last edited by 200xth; 01-20-2016 at 05:02 PM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (01-20-2016)

Thanks

I have the Acurite Digital Thermometer, with the probe. On the device the "outdoor temperature" reads higher than the indoor, I assume this is the probes temp? Just clarifying, I'm in the process of regulating pips new tank. So far it looks like this:

http://ball-pythons.net/gallery/file...120_190901.jpg

The thermostat connected to the UTH peaks out at 80 and the pad doesn't even feel hot, I don't think the thermostat is powering the mat. Working on fixing this atm.
    Last edited by Pippers; 01-20-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Yes, outdoor is the probe that you would want on the hot spot.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast