Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,462

2 members and 1,460 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: One and a half year old snake, 50 grams?

Wow guys! After one quick google search, those are exactly what they are..spurs. My vet said "Oh those are his hemipenes" as if it was casual. I knew something was wrong, maybe he had the wrong word lol. Well I am definitely relieved.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pippers For This Useful Post:

ashleymarie (01-17-2016),GoingPostal (01-17-2016),Kimchi~ (01-17-2016),meganmarkita15 (09-03-2016),wolfy-hound (01-17-2016)

Thanks
    Glad he ate for you.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pippers View Post
    Wow guys! After one quick google search, those are exactly what they are..spurs. My vet said "Oh those are his hemipenes" as if it was casual. I knew something was wrong, maybe he had the wrong word lol. Well I am definitely relieved.
    If those are just his spurs, and there is no parasite problem or other internal health issue, the problems are most likely environment and feeding. There's a chance of a genetic or other issue, but I would guess it's most likely to the undersized food he gets.

Both are relatively easy to fix. Get your temps dialed in. This is pretty easy. Once you have your tank setup properly with temps measured and controlled correctly, you're well on your way.

Based on your shed descriptions, your humidity is off regardless of what your gauge is telling you. I would put a humid hide in there for him. They're easy to make and give him a place with boosted humidity for when he needs it.

As for feeding, once you start feeding him properly sized food on a regular basis, he'll grow. Mouse fuzzies are way too small for any BP. I see you moved him up to hoppers which is great. He will probably only be on hoppers for three or four weeks at most before you have to move him up again.

You might want to consider tracking his weight and his food weight for a while so you can monitor the growth. It's not really necessary in most cases to track weight and food weekly, but in your case it'll provide two benefits:

First, you'll have something concrete to refer to when you're trying to determine if he's making progress or not.

Second, since you're having trouble gauging proper food size by eyeballing it (no offense, but mouse fuzzies are not correct), adjusting food by weight will make sure you get it right until he gets bigger. If your snake weighs X you feed him something between Y and Z. You may think the food looks too big or too small, but if it's the in correct weight range while he's a hatchling, he can eat it. Over time, with weights backing you up, you'll start to get a better feel for eyeballing food.

Good luck with him. It sounds like he got off to a slow start unintentionally, but you're doing what you can to fix the problems and get him back on track, so that's always good.
    Last edited by 200xth; 01-17-2016 at 08:21 AM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

pastelballs (01-19-2016)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Could you also try to get a picture of his "prolapsed hemipenes"? Because I am wondering if what you(and the vet) are seeing are the "spurs" which are supposed to be out
    This is why there are so many great members here.
    Someone always catches something that got overlooked.

My vet said "Oh those are his hemipenes" as if it was casual.
    Right here.... Find a new vet. Preferably one that knows reptiles or at anatomy and wont blow smoke up your butt.
    I would bet most of us overlooked that because we took your word that you took your vets word.
    That is not your fault as it was his/her job to inform you about your animal and evidently is not qualified.

There are many people in this community that are here to help.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

cristacake (01-23-2016),CSMPaul (01-20-2016),das_nooblet (01-23-2016),GoingPostal (01-17-2016),meganmarkita15 (09-03-2016),Megg (01-17-2016),SmoothScales (03-02-2016),wolfy-hound (01-17-2016)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    These can help you if you haven't seen them already:

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Creepy Alien (01-20-2016),das_nooblet (01-23-2016),Firefighter1719 (01-17-2016),Kokorobosoi (01-22-2016),meganmarkita15 (09-03-2016),Megg (01-17-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    Second, since you're having trouble gauging proper food size by eyeballing it (no offense, but mouse fuzzies are not correct), adjusting food by weight will make sure you get it right until he gets bigger. If your snake weighs X you feed him something between Y and Z. You may think the food looks too big or too small, but if it's the in correct weight range while he's a hatchling, he can eat it. Over time, with weights backing you up, you'll start to get a better feel for eyeballing food.

Good luck with him. It sounds like he got off to a slow start unintentionally, but you're doing what you can to fix the problems and get him back on track, so that's always good.
    Is there a rule of thumb for food size? Like just bigger than his body width or what? Also thank you so much for your help, pip is on his way to a full recovery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Right here.... Find a new vet. Preferably one that knows reptiles or at anatomy and wont blow smoke up your butt.
    I would bet most of us overlooked that because we took your word that you took your vets word.
    That is not your fault as it was his/her job to inform you about your animal and evidently is not qualified.
    Yeah, the closest specialty reptile vet is 2 and a half hours away so I went with my local animal hospital. They told me he was good with snakes! Oh well I learned my lesson. I'm sure he will be back on track very shortly and maybe he can forgive me for my ignorance haha.

Thanks

Is there a rule of thumb for food size? Like just bigger than his body width or what? Also thank you so much for your help, pip is on his way to a full recovery
    I believe it was "slightly wider than the widest point of your snake's body."

0.1 Super pastel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kimchi~ View Post
    I believe it was "slightly wider than the widest point of your snake's body."

0.1 Super pastel
    Oh that'd make sense then. Thanks!

Thanks

Just a little tidbit I learned from another snake keeper... apparently its best to switch to rats if there is a weight gain issue, since they have a better fat content. So like the chart that PitontheProwl posted says, the mouse hopper you fed your little guy is about the same size as a rat fuzzy. My first bp didn't really start gaining weight until I switched him from mice to rats. Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast